USA (Columbus), January 28, 2008 Review

3.4
 6.7
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
USA (Columbus), January 28, 2008 Reviewed by: vanmanson, on march 28, 2008

Sound: It was a shitty Monday night in Columbus, on January 28th, which happens to be my birthday. I was there to see Killswitch, and Parkway Drive; and had to sit through Every Time I Die, and The Dillinger Escape Plan. I have to say, I love metal, but ETID and Dillinger suck Live. I couldn't understand anything they were playing. I've played guitar for 16 years, and it's not that it was difficult, but it just had an annoyingness to it. Anybody Who's heard Parkway Drive probably agrees with me in saying "They kick ass". I'm not sure what gear they run through, or Killswitch, for that matter, but you could see where Adam D. (Killswitch guitarist) had produced them, because they have a sort of Killswitch sound, just heavier. I could almost hear a hint of Poison The Well in there, too. I'm sure there's a shitload of Dillinger fans, but I am definitely not one of them. Any band that can actually still give ME a headache is not worth wasting your time on. This particular night the audio engineer was a drunk, worthless bozo; and was hurting the singers of the acts before Killswitch. This also pissed me off, because I was looking forward to Parkway's set, but unfortunately, only caught three songs due to them opening up the entire show. This just made the rest of the night drag until Killswitch hit the stage. Once Howard and crew showed up onstage, the place blew up. It had been a slow, shitty concert so far. Me and my buddies knew they were going to open up with "As Daylight Dies", their title-track from that album. I'll be damned if we weren't right on. They annihilated the crowd with every song you would expect Killswitch to play, and goofed off in between songs. Adam D. is one of the guitarists, and he came out wearing a Revco looking Dracula cape, which was hilarious, and everytime he talked on the mic, he talked in a real deep death metal-like voice. This insane charade helped me to overcome my birthday blues. By the end of their set, my voice was gone, and ofcourse, they closed out with "Holy Diver", the Dio cover. This just iced the cake. We rocked out, got horrendously drunk, high, and finally watched one of my buddies knock some dude out, and get arrested! But that's for another time. // 6

Perfomance: It's all above, holmes. The audience was more turned on by Killswitch than anybody. I didn't see too much response in the other bands. Nobody really knew Who Parkway Drive was, so no one knew what to expect. They came out when the doors had just opened, so there wasn't many people to watch them. I assume everyone there was there to see Killswitch mainly. // 7

Overall Impression: Killswitch annihilated the crowd! Parkway Drive was the first opening act, and they should've opened up for Killswitch, because they were the only other rock hard band that night. I think I spent $25 bucks on the ticket, and it was definitely worth it, although a couple weeks later I watched All That Remains, Chimaira, and Divine Heresy for $16 bucks, and that was the best 16 bucks I ever spent! I would say the next time Parkway Drive, or Killswitch Engage is near me in Ohio, I'm there, dude. // 7

More Killswitch Engage reviews rating latest review