USA (Lowell), November 28, 2007 Review

8.3
 9.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this concert:
USA (Lowell), November 28, 2007 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 30, 2007

Sound: Overall the whole concert sounded good. Someone at the soundboard definitely knew what they were doing. Soilwork started the show with an amazing set, the vocals kicking through. They sounded incredible. Devil Driver was next, and it may just be opinion, but I don't think they sounded as good. They were kind of tame, no different from the norm, and not exactly a rare find. Lamb Of God almost burst a speaker, I swear. They put on the loudest set I've ever heard, and I doubt Randy (Blyth, lead vocals) would have needed the mic. Guitars shrieked and wailed, drums kicked you where it hurt, and a thudding bass kept it going. Killswitch Engage had a very tame set, but the quality was so good, it was almost like a recording. // 8

Perfomance: The audience was, in true modern metal fashion, enjoying the show. Circle pits, crowd surfing, mosh pits, booze, and the smell of cigarettes (and something else) mixing in with the dry ice hovering off the stage. I personally enjoyed the show, even though I got knocked out when crowd surfing, kicked in the face in a mosh pit, and absolutely torn apart in the circle pit, but it was all part of the fun and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Soilwork had a boring visual aspect. The lighting was good, but nothing too insane. Same with Devil Driver, although they had banners. Lamb Of God started out with gigantic clouds of dry ice, and laser lights that pierced through the Darkness of the crowded arena. The lights continued to hypnotize throughout the whole show, and Lamb Of God's set did not disappoint both with audio and visual. Killswitch, the headliner for the night also had amazing lights, with a giant backdrop depicting what I believe to be the albums cover. Killswitch could not stay serious for the entire show. I think they must have said, "That's what she said!" at least 20 times, but it was funny generally. They also lost a member of their band, and demanded the audience help call for HIM. When he was eventually found, they continued on with the show, cracking jokes, and making some amazing music at the same time. // 10

Overall Impression: The show was in America, in Lowell Massachusetts at the Paul Tsongas Arena yesterday, November 28th, 2007. The bands were (in order of appearance) Soilwork, Devil Driver, Lamb Of God, and Killswitch Engage. I loved the atmosphere of the show, the actual band energy, the crowd, and all the Killswitch jokes. I hated the fact that I couldn't find a place where I wasn't getting smoked out, and not being a smoker, I didn't enjoy that at all. I actually got in for free, thanks to the crew of WGIR FM's "Greg and the Morning Buzz", but the standard ticket pricing was around $50.00. I can honestly say I would not pay that much to get in there, and if I hadn't gotten the tickets, I wouldn't have gone. The show was worth it, however, if you knew the bands well. In all honesty, Killswitch made the show completely unforgettable, because of their light hearted nature, and their incredible set. If they ever come to Mass again, I'll be first in line for tickets. // 7

More Killswitch Engage reviews rating latest review