Live at The Regency Ballroom, San Francisco, USA, February 20th, 2014 Review

artist: manowar date: 03/14/2014 category: live concerts
manowar: Live at The Regency Ballroom, San Francisco, USA, February 20th, 2014
 Perfomance: 9
review (1) 1 comment vote for this concert:
Live at The Regency Ballroom, San Francisco, USA, February 20th, 2014 Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on march 14, 2014

Sound: Manowar are an extremely loud band. That's probably a well known fact to anyone who owns any of their albums, but until you witness the band live, you don't really understand how loud they can actually manage to be. I was not anywhere near the stage, yet, somehow I felt like my brain was going to burst into flames. I'm honestly still quite unsure as to whether that was a bad thing, for all I know, that could have been entirely intentional. The vocalist, Eric Adams, he sounds like a Dio-type singer, which at his age, is really impressive. The drummer, I don't know his name, but it seemed like most of the sheer volume of the concert was coming from him. The guitarist and bassist were both great, however, there was nothing of particular noting, other than the fact that you could clearly hear every note they were playing. // 8

Perfomance: Manowar played about one hour of actual music often pausing to show videos of the twenty-fifth anniversary re-recording of their 1988 album, "Kings of Metal," as well as obituaries, and a drunken rant from Joey Demaio, which was hilarious. They performed 12 or 13 songs, with the majority of them being accompanied by a music video of sorts in the background of the stage on a large screen. Songs included, "Dawn of the Battle," "Manowar," "Wheels of Fire," "Fighting the World" and more wit the majority of the songs coming off the album they are re-recording. A particular highlight was the title track to "Kings of Metal" featuring for a few minutes before the song started, something I can only assume was the original promotional video, but then again I don't know that much about this band, besides their songs... // 9

Overall Impression: Manowar performed at The Regency Ballroom in San Francisco, California, USA, February 20th, 2014. There was no opening act, but I do find it worth mentioning that the band were about 20 minutes late and that before they arrived, you had to hear a really weird bunch of mood music. My favorite part of the show would have to be the song they opened with, "Manowar," off their debut album, "Battle Hymns." Why? Because, by the time they actually got on stage, the suspense was painful and that song was like an adrenaline burst. All of a sudden, I was like okay, I can stay awake for five more hours! The thing I least enjoyed was how every 2 or 3 songs they would roll the video of the "Kings of Metal" re-recording. It was cool, but they should have saved everything for after all the set list was done. That would have improved the overall feel of the show. I won tickets to the concert and I can safely say I had a lot of fun, probably won't see Manowar again, but it was worth catching them once! Also, I will say, as I find it rather funny that UG has this listed: there were no nude girls - except in the video to "Wheels of Fire." // 10

Comments