Belgium (Werchter), June 28, 2007 Review

artist: marilyn manson date: 07/18/2007 category: live concerts
marilyn manson: Belgium (Werchter), June 28, 2007
In this show, he did both, and there was no real mistake in singing here.
 Perfomance: 9
review (1) 3 comments vote for this concert:
Belgium (Werchter), June 28, 2007 Reviewed by: Eps123, on july 18, 2007

Sound: Marilyn Manson has a really deep voice, but at the same time, he can manage to sing very high. In this show, he did both, and there was no real mistake in singing here. He might look different than the average rockstar, but I think he's a genius singer. He's got a great voice and uses it well. The guitarist used a really nice Gibson Explorer-like guitar, which made an amazing sound. The bassist used a black Fender bass. He wasn't loud enough unfortunately. I couldn't really feel the ground shaking from the bass, and I was hoping for that to happen, especially for this kind of music. I honestly have no idea what kind of drums the drummer used. Overall the sound was actually really good, especially the guitar and drums sounded really good. And of course Marilyn himself sounded amazing. The mic was at perfect volume, in combination with the rest of the instruments. I was impressed. // 9

Perfomance: I honestly didn't know what to expect from such a show. Over many years, Marilyn has released so many albums, with so many hits. He only had 1 hour of playing time. I honestly didn't know what songs he was going to play. Just before the gig, he had released his new album "Eat Me, Drink Me" so I listened to that one mostly before the gig, hoping he would play many songs from that album, which he did. It was very enjoyable. Eventhough they all look a bit different than humans, they still play amazing music. The setlist was amazing actually, a really nice opener: 01. If I Was Your Vampire - an amazing song from the new album, I love it, the guitar sounds so good on it. And also the way Matilyn sings it, sometimes he just shouts, it's amazing. 02. Disposable Teens - a really nice hard song. The drums were awesome on this song. 03. You And Me And The Devil Makes 3 - this was a song that I really wanted to hear the bass, but it was too low, unfortunately, because the bass riff is amazing. 04. The Irresponsible Hate Anthem - very nice song (crowd was singing: "we hate love, we love hate"). The drums in the verse were amazing. The high hat thing. And the little guitar licks in the second part of the verse were really cool, and of course Marilyn shouted his guts out in the chorus. 05. Mobscene - classic. Also one of my favourite songs. The guitar riff in the beginning is rad, it just blows your mind. 06. Sweet Dreams - cover from Annie Lennox. Lovely guitar part in the beginning. And then Marilyn's nice low voice kicks in, and sometimes he just shouts!! Such a shame the bass was too low. 07. Putting Holes In Happiness - I love the guitar part. It's just beautiful. 08. Rock Is Dead - again, the drums rock in this song. 09. Heart-Shaped Glasses - I love the drums in this song, together with the part the guitarist plays, when the drummer hits the snare drums. The lyrics to this song are also beautiful. 10. Tainted Love - kinda classic as well. It just sounds different than the rest. Nice song though. 11. Dope Show - nice sound effects in the beginning. But the guitarist messed up at one point, it didn't sound completely right. 12. Fight Song - lovely guitar part throughout the whole song. Drums were nice and heavy. Very nice. 13. Beautiful People - perfect ending song. Nice drums, and nice whispering by Marilyn ("The Beautiful People"). It was great! No real special moments, but the stage was actually really nice. Each amp had millions of candles around and on top of them. And the drums were surrounded by candles. It looked a bit like a graveyard/end of the world-ish/vampire thing. Marilyn's mic was also really cool. It had a knife blade on the end of it. It looked really good. // 9

Overall Impression: Belgium, Werchter, Rock Werchter Festival, 28 June 2007. No openers, it was a rock festival. The thing I love about the show was actually the appearance of everything and everyone. Everyone was wearing scary, but nice, make up, and the candles really made it nice. The thing I hated about it, was that the show was in the afternoon, so it wasn't dark outside yet. If it had been dark outside, I think the candles and stuff would have made a great atmosphere for an even better show. Rock festival = expesive ticket J160, but it was worth it. Definetely. If Marilyn would come to Belgium again, I think I might go again. It was actually a really good gig, I would like to see it again. // 9

More Marilyn Manson reviews rating latest review