UK (Manchester), Febuary 7, 2005 Review

9.3
 8.5
review (1) 4 comments vote for this concert:
UK (Manchester), Febuary 7, 2005 Reviewed by: KSM, on february 09, 2005

Sound: The sound quality was pretty good, no real problems. Lead sound was decent, rhythm was great, Dave's voice was good, no problems with any of the instruments that I could hear. It wasn't a huge venue, which is odd considering this is such a lengendary band, but they pulled the sound off without a hitch in the Academy. Dave stuck to his ESP Flying Vs throughout the night, and I caught the lead guitarist using a couple of RGs and a Les Paul. Drums were your standard huge pearl rig I believe, and I'm not toally sure what the bass player was using. Loved the solos. Overall, there was no dissapointment at all for me in the sound department. Great Stuff. // 10

Perfomance: Brilliant. The crowd was shoving all over, mosh pits were flaring up all over, everyone was moving for the most part, it was insane. Excellent, just what you'd expect from a thrash band. Sheer madness. I couldn't list all the songs they played, I didn't keep track it was that frantic. They'd played some of the newer stuff (The Scorpion, Die Dead Enough, Tears In A Vial), along with the older stuff and the outright classics, including the more well-known ones, like Hangar 18, Peace Sells, Symphony Of Destruction and Holy Wars. Great moments included Dave getting the crowd to sing the first verse of Sweating Bullets, as well as the traditional crowd sung Peace Sells chorus. Dave's little doctor story was great with the crowd booing when he said he'd been told he could never play guitar again. I swear I heard a few people chanting "Megadave" too, which was a laugh. There was the odd jackass in the mosh-pits, but that's nothing out of the ordinary. // 10

Overall Impression: The gig was at the Manchester Academy, Manchester, England, on Monday Febuary 7th. Missed my maths mock the day after too, didn't hear the alarm go off it was that loud in there. The openers were Diamond Head, who I thought were great, I loved the '80s feel to it. The crowd seemed to enjoy them, applauding and cheering where appropriate, but they didn't exactly drive the crowd mad. The only real reaction they got was when they finshed with Am I Evil?, and the crowd sung the chorus. The best thing about the show was easily just seeing Dave go about his business, the only thing that irked me was how I didn't know the rest of the band. Their performances were fantastic, it would just have been ncie to see another familiar face. Tickets were around 15, which was standard, and definately worth it for a performance like that. Best moment was easily the crowd singing the Peace Sells chorus. As for going to their next gig, I don't know if they'll tour again. If it's another fairly small place like the Academy then I think I'll skip it, but if they play somewhere big I'll go, their music was just made to fill larger venues. Put simply: damn good gig. // 10

More Megadeth reviews rating latest review
+ USA (Nampa), July 13, 2011 9.6 02/13/2012