Belgium (Antwerp), March 5, 2009 Review

artist: metallica date: 01/14/2013 category: live concerts
metallica: Belgium (Antwerp), March 5, 2009
The show was from the Death Magnetic Tour. It was the only show in Belgium. There were 2 opening bands, both heavy metal too.
 Perfomance: 9.5
 8.5
reviews (2) 2 comments vote for this concert:
Belgium (Antwerp), March 5, 2009 Reviewed by: Tariso, on april 22, 2009

Sound: Metallica's Death Magnetic show really stunned me. Before that concert, I wasn't really into Metallica, I just kwew them from songs like Nothing Else Matters, and some new DM songs. That changed that day, I really got to know the band better. I think everyone knows Metallica, they're famous for their Heavy Metal music, and heavy it was. The stage was set in the midlle of the crowd, which was strange but awesome. The sound was really hard, but that's Metallica. Sometimes it was a little bit too hard, you couldn't hear James' voice. But I like Metallica for the heavy guitar riffs, so that wasn't much of a problem. Despite his age, James Hetfield's singing hasn't got any worse. His voice on DM sounds heavier than on the previuos albums. His Live performance is great, he's a very skilled rythm guitar player. Kirk Hamett, the guitar hero, a real icon with his long, curly hair. His ESP Ouija guitars look very cool, he's skilled with his Gibson Flying V too. The solo's were played almost perfect. He uses his famous Wah-wah pedal in almost every solo, which gives the unique Kirk Hamett sound. Lars Ulrich, a great drummer! He's very enthousiastic during the Live performance. His drum set was stationed on a rotating platform, that made a 90 turn every few songs, so he could face every corner of the crowd. I think he has a very hard job, there are very intense drum parts in the songs. And the 4th member: Rob Trujilo. The 'new' bass guitarist. I like him, he's a great bass guitar player. On Live shows he's dressed really weird, with socks pulled up to his knees, and short pants. His face looks really funny from time to time. I think the band made a great comeback after St. Anger, the failed album. Death Magnetic is a great album. // 8

Perfomance: The crowd was very alive, I think the stage setup had a great influence for that. There were a lot of mosh pit's around the centered stage. The band was very mobile on the stage, so everyone in the crowd could see their face. The stage was decorated in the death Magnetic style, with huge coffins hanging from the ceiling, moving down from time to time. They used fireworks in a few songs, like in One. That was really awesome, I wasn't so close to the stage, and I could feel the heat from those flames that shot out of the stage floor. During One, there were also coloured flames coming out of the stage. It made the song really hot! Like I said, I wasn't such a great Metallica fan before the show, so I didn't knew many of the songs. There were a lot of unknown songs to me, but they sounded great too. They played only 3 songs from Death Magnetic I think, that was strange for a death magnetic tour. They played The Day that never comes, All Nightmare Long and Broken, Beat & Scarred. They played a lot of their famous songs: Nothing Else Matters, Master Of Puppets, One, Enter Sandman... They were all played great. The final song, Seek & Destroy (one of my favourites now), was great. Giant black balloons came out of nowhere, and flew down into the crowd, and on the stage too. It was funny watching James, Kirk and Rob kicking the giant balloons off the stage during the song. Sadly I was in the wrong place, the balloons didn't flew my way. Many people have obtained a big black balloon, with Metallica written on them. // 10

Overall Impression: The show was from the Death Magnetic Tour. It was the only show in Belgium. It took place on the 5th of March, 2009, in 'Het Sportpaleis' in Antwerp. There were 2 opening bands, both heavy metal too. They weren't bad, but the people were there for Metallica, so after a while, they became a bit unwanted. Metallica is a great band, I hope they make more good songs, and performances. // 9

Belgium (Antwerp), March 5, 2009 Reviewed by: 00Nevan00, on january 14, 2013

Sound: At first, I was little bit afraid of the sound quality. Because the venue they played at isn't the best in Belgium, actually it's horrible sometimes. Also, the PA guy screwed up the sound of the support acts (Machine Head & The Sword), really sad. So I was scared they would give us more than 2 hours of some random noises. But when they started playing "That Was Just Your Life", I was really amazed. Very good sound quality, even my uncle was impressed which saw tons of concerts in his life. I can't complain about the playing/singing either. Even though I write this review a few years later, I can't remind any sound problems or vocal issues. They did a very good performance(even though I don't like the wah from Kirk Wahmett). They have a different sound if you compare it to the old days but it fitted well and I was satisfied. // 8

Perfomance: 10 mins before they turned off 'the house lights', the crowd started chanting 'Metallica', screaming, clapping and so on. There was even a Mexican wave for ~5mins which was awesome because everyone at the balconies (15000 people) participated. And when the intro blasted through the speakers, everyone stood up and chanted along until the end of the night! So the vibe was there. No doubt! One of the cool things about this concert (and Metallica in general) is the stage in the middle. If you see a concert in this venue and you have seats all the way in the back, you have a very bad view. And you can't choose places, because these concerts are sold out really quick in our country (this one sold out in 45 minutes). But it did matter at this one, really really cool. Here is a list of songs they played: 01. "The Ecstasy Of Gold": Like I said early, everyone stood up and started clapping & singing along with the melody, ready to start an amazing evening. 02. "That Was Just Your Life": One word: lasers. Those were really awesome. Also the fact Metallica were 'invisible' in the darkness until the end of the song was cool. At the end, they turned on the lights and everyone went nuts. 03. "The End Of The Line": Cool song, especially the 'Slave becomes the master' part. Love it. 04. "Leper Messiah": Time for some old stuff. Love the song, but I actually hoped to hear essential ones like "Creeping Death" or "For Whom The Bell Tolls". It was my first Metallica concert so I really wanted to hear those. 05. "Holier Than Thou": Another song from the old stuff arsenal. Headbanging one and cool basslines after the solo. 06. "One": Let there be fire. The Metallica classic included an awesome solo and some pyro. A lot of pyro. In at least 5 different colors. Epic. 07. "Broken, Beat & Scarred": Some speech about this song and the fans at the beginning. A funny moment happened though. James Hetfield asked the crowd who saw Metallica for the first time that night and some people started chanting 'Boooooo' which James simply responded: "Does that mean 'hello' in Belgium or what?". After they started playing and it's a good one from "Death Magnetic", not my favorite though. 08. "Cyanide": Another new song. They nailed it. 09. "Sad But True": A Metallica classic. I sang my ass off with his one while raising the horns and headbanging. Awesome moment! 10. "Turn The Page" (Bob Seger cover): I used this one to sit down and relax for a few minutes. I was exhaused because of the previous song. 11. "All Nightmare Long": And another "Death Magnetic" track. Same with the other new songs, cool but not impressive like the classics. 12. "The Day That Never Comes": Same old, same old. New song, blablabla. Cool solo and riffing at the second part of the song. 13. "Master Of Puppets": Probably the most famous song of Metallica. +15000 metalheads chanting along with James Hetfield and a performance of the full song (unlike San Diego 1993 or Cunning Stunts). Awesome! 14. "Fight Fire With Fire": 210 bpm terror. Very good song, but I prefer "Blackened" and "Battery" over this one. 15. "Nothing Else Matters": Even though I really don't like this song as much as "Damage Inc." or "Ride The Lightning", I enjoyed it. Just raised that lighter, wave a little and enjoy! 16. "Enter Sandman": Classic. Can't go wrong with it. 17. "Breadfan" (Budgie cover): Cover time! Like this one. They jammed a little bit too. 18. "The Prince" (Diamond Head cover): Another cover, likey likey. 19. "Seek & Destroy": The last song. Requirements: 3 simples words and big black balls. An awesome ending with some crazy stuff at the end when they screamed in the mics. Would love to see James jump off the stage someday and go to the crowd and let them sing the song. I want tha bacon! Overall, GREAT performance. Really loved it! But at the end of the night in the car, I was thinking about one thing: where the hell was "Face To Black"? // 9

Overall Impression: The show was from the Death Magnetic Tour. It took place in a venue called Sportpaleis on the 5th of March 2009. They had 2 support acts: Machine Head & The Sword. It was a really good show, I loved every single second of it. If I could edit something, I would be 2 of 3 setlist changes. But I can't complain much about the other specs. It was my first Metallica concert and definitely not my last one! I hope they record soon and plan another indoor tour. Because that's Metallica at its best: indoors. I saw them last summer at a Werchter Boutique 2012 (outdoors) and have to say, it's different. Sorry for any grammatical mistakes! // 10

More Metallica reviews rating latest review
+ India (Bangalore), October 30, 2011 8.9 11/02/2011