USA (Dayton), December 5, 2010 Review

9.9
 9.7
review (1) 3 comments vote for this concert:
USA (Dayton), December 5, 2010 Reviewed by: mpastrick, on december 09, 2010

Sound: Watching live videos of Miss May I on the internet do not do this band any justice. For some reason, the screams of Levi Benton(vocals) do not show up that well in the audio. But finally seeing them play live was incredible. Everything you hear in the studio albums is there but better. You could feel the pulse of every low growl and high scream, even the energy of Ryan Neff's(bassist) clean vocals. BJ Stead(guitarist) and Justin Aufdemkampe(guitarist) played like true musicians and pushed the standards of metal guitar. Jerod Boyd(drummer) made the ground tremble through his aggressive beats and fills as he did played like I have not seen many play. The technicality and intricacy left me amazed and wondering how one could play like that live and not make a single mistake. // 9

Perfomance: Levi Benton the entire crowd in his hand. They came out to a new intro and then tore it up with "Our Kings." Not a single person in the sold out crowd was still. I happened to be in the very front row, center stage, able to see Levi right in everyone's face as he was right in everyone's face. They played songs from their new album such as "Our Kings," "Masses of a Dying Breed," "Relentless Chaos," and "Monument." They also incorporated songs from their first album such as "Porcelain Wings," "A Dance with Aera Cura," and "Architect." The audience became very involved and sang along word for word. Breakdowns on songs like "Porcelain Wings" made everyone go mad and had the whole room off the floor. After they finished their last song, the crowd demanded an encore, with which they came out and played their famous cover of "Swing" and their highly popular "Forgive and Forget." Every song hit just as hard if not harder than the studio versions. Nothing was lost. From crowd surfing to circle pits, this was one of the craziest concerts I have been to. // 10

Overall Impression: The show took place at The Attic in Dayton, OH on December 5, 2010. Opening for Miss May I was: The Crimson Armada, Abandon All Ships, Bury Tomorrow and Sleeping with Sirens, alongside many great local bands. All of which played a great show and really got the crowd going. What I loved about this show was that I have never seen a band come out and just leave me speechless after wards. The show was so intense and high energy. Before, I have seen bands like Alice in Chains and Mudvayne, but Miss May I managed to blow both of them out of the water. I couldn't find any criticisms of them. Something I will never forget was the breakdown for "Porcelain Wings" when Levi came to the front of the stage and the audience sang along with the lyrics, "My eyes are bloodshot, they have seen the damned." Nobody was on the ground and the energy was unforgettable. Miss May I really made this homecoming an unforgettable night of their last show of their first Headlining tour, where they showed what underground metal is all about. I will never miss a Miss May I show in the future. // 10

Comments