USA (Houston), November 7, 2009 Review

8.4
 8.7
review (1) 10 comments vote for this concert:
USA (Houston), November 7, 2009 Reviewed by: Amuro Jay, on november 19, 2009

Sound: When I heard Molotov Solution's latest album The Harbringer, I was quite impressed. But, that's another review for another time. When I found out that Molotov Solution were coming to Houston, I jumped at the chance to go. I usually don't go to shows, but when I do, I find that no matter how good the performance is, The Music usually doesn't stand up to the recordings. So I wasn't expecting Molotov Solution to sound the way they sounded on record. On record, Molotov Solution are crushing, powerful, tight, and defined. Live, well... They're just as good. The vocalist sounded great on the albums, and he did not disappoint Live. If anything, there was a certain level of power in his voice Live that just couldn't have been captured on record. Unfortunately, we were in the Red Room of the Meridian, so the sound quality was not as good as it could have been in the main room. Because of this, it was next to impossible to hear the singers high pitched screams through the speakers. Since I was at the front, it was easy to hear his voice from right in front of me, but to everyone behind, it must have looked like his voice was periodically giving out. The other members of the band (two guitarists, bassit, and drummer) played flawlessly. Each member played totally in sync with the other, all while giving the best performance possible. The lead guitarist had quite an impressive pedal collection (several of them looked Vintage) for a deathcore band. What's even more impressive is that he actually used all of them. If it weren't for the bad mic setup inhibiting the singer's vocals, the sound would have been pretty much perfect. Everything else was well balanced, and you could hear each instrument perfectly. // 8

Perfomance: The stage they played on was extremely small, but Molotov Solution made do with what they had. Although it was virtually impossible to move on that stage, the band still gave it their all with the show. There was plenty of crowd interaction, with the singer occasionally handing the mic out to eager fans to sing along. I can't quite recall what songs were played, as I was still quite new to the songs. I recognized a few from their old CD, and several from their new CD. Everyone around me, however, seemed to know every word to every song. Unfortunately, a pretty big part of the audience didn't seem too into them. During the breakdowns there were less people in the pit than while other bands were playing. But then again, those other bands are much bigger than Molotov Solution (relatively speaking, of course). Also, the show was largely a Christian hardcore show (as it was the CD release party for a Christian deathcore act), with almost every band on the bill being openly Christian. Molotov Solution are openly atheist, according to their lyrics. This might have caused some sort of discord between the band and the audience. Even though most of the crowd seemed unfamiliar with Molotov Solution, the band did manage to attract a few new fans to the merch table after their performance. // 9

Overall Impression: Molotov Solution were touring through Houston, TX, USA @ Club Meridian on November 7th, 2009 with American Me. Upon a Burning Body were supposed to be there, but they apparently had to drop that date. Their tour stop in Houston was a part of the support for the CD release party for Houston's Before there was Rosalyn, a deathcore act whose debut album just came out on Victory Records. I went to the show to see Molotov Solution, so the problem with that was having to wait two hours through bands I didn't care much for. During that time, though, I discovered American Me and Through Fallen Skies, who both put on great shows. The ticket was only 12 bucks, if I recall, and it was well worth the money. I think the highlight of the show for me was when the Molotov vocalist asked "Who's having a good time?" in between songs. I shouted "THIS GUY!" while pointing to myself, to which he replied "Alright, that guy!" while pointing back to me. Now next time I see them, I'll be able to shout the same thing, and they'll remember. // 9

Comments