USA (Cincinnati), December 8, 2008 Review

3.9
 7.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this concert:
USA (Cincinnati), December 8, 2008 Reviewed by: Drool_Mouse, on may 13, 2009

Sound: Chad Gray is an amazing vocalist. He walks on stage with these huge overalls on, possibly seen on some of their music videos (I'm not sure, maybe I'm recalling incorrectly). He actually introduced the band, and how far they've come and all that. We also had a moment of silence for the anniversary of Dimebag's death (honestly, I'm not a huge Dimebag fan, but I definitely would - and did - pay my respects). It was the four guys on stage, Chad Gray doing vocals, Greg Tribett on guitar, Ryan Martinie on bass, and Matthew McDonough on drums. The guitars were dubbed for when there was a lead guitar, as there isn't a second guitarist. Pretty basic instrumentation. Overall, The Music sounded great, loud, of course, but everything could be heard great for sure. Each part, instrument/vocals were clearly identifiable during the performance. // 7

Perfomance: The audience was pretty responsive to Chad when he spoke, and sung/screamed (for those Who don't consider screaming a form a singing). I thoroughly enjoyed the performance. It was very very energetic, which is what we all look for when we go to a Live show. Good music, and a good performance. They played some of their older stuff, including "Dig" which is a great song of the record, and was paired with the energy and intensity of the Live show, was just incredible. They also played their most popular songs, including "Happy?" and "Forget to Remember" and "Not Falling." Though it was hard to pick apart which song was which occasionally (as there was a lot of things going on, in the audience, and on stage). Each song though, sounded great, and if it weren't for the crowd yelling, it almost felt like it was straight up of the CD. Mudvayne also played some of the new stuff, which included "Do What You Do" and "A New Game." Each of these songs sounded great as well, and during "Do What You Do" the audience sung along with it. It was very audience geared, while at the same time, a huge focus on the actual band. Well, I didn't know what to expect before they got on stage. They had lights (LED more than likely) that were propped up on the stage. The opening was supposed to be like a storm, as the lights would flash randomly over a sound of thunder. It was somewhat annoying at first, because I didn't understand what was going on, plus I was anxious to have Mudvayne actually start playing. The lights were used throughout the entire show, and really added some nice visual effects. // 9

Overall Impression: This performance was in the United States, Cincinnati, OH, at a small venue called Bogart's on December 8th, 2008. The openers were Snot and 10 Years. I loved the Snot performance, a ton of energy, great opening act. I was not, however, that impressed with 10 Years. They slowed everything down, sort of taking the 'pre-set' energy which began with Snot away. Kind of stupid, in my opinion, as we all wanted to have that same energy for Mudvayne. I loved the opener and the headliner. Just in general the performance was great, sound quality and visual effects and all. I didn't really like the performance by 10 Years, though that's my taste in their music more than anything. The sound was great, I'm just not a huge fan of the band. The tickets cost about $38 at the door. I was skeptical when the ticket salesperson said the price, but looking back, it was well worth it. It was a great show. The most unforgettable moments in the show were when the new singer of Snot jumped over the bouncers into the crowd, to surf, and our moment of silence for Dimebag. Snot's singer was also in the back after their performance shaking hands of people walking by when we were all leaving. I would totally go to the next Mudvayne show, whenever it may be. // 7

More Mudvayne reviews rating latest review
+ USA (Norfolk), April 19, 2005 9.7 07/04/2005