Australia (Melbourne), December 1, 2007 Review

9.4
 9.7
 9.1
review (1) 5 comments vote for this concert:
Australia (Melbourne), December 1, 2007 Reviewed by: leafy, on december 03, 2007

Sound: This was my first My Chemical Romance concert, as I missed their first tour of the year. Let me just say, I wish I was there in January, because this show was spectacular. The sound was unbelievable. The guitar tones were perfect and mixed in well with the bass, piano and drums. Even though Bob was absent on the night, the drumming still sounded excellent with a replacement drummer standing in for him. The mixing was great, easily being able to hear each individual instrument clearly, as well as the vocals. The acoustics of Rod Laver arena were great, but even better for me, being in the front row. The only down side of the performance were Gerard's vocals. They sounded a little rough and his singing on some of the songs seemed a little lazy. All that aside, it still sounded simply mind blowing. // 9

Perfomance: The performance of a collection of songs from The Black Parade and Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge was astounding. The audience's reception was deafening, and the band seemed to be enjoying being appreciated so much. Even inside Rod Laver, the show was boosted with an arrangement of fireworks, smoke machines, and best of all, lots and lots of fire! They opened with This is how I dissapear. I must admit, I wasn't expecting much of this song Live, but it was one of the highlights due to the amount of energy on stage. The moved on swiftly to the upbeat track Dead, which the audience loved. The next song I'm Not Okay suprised me, as I thought it would be one of the last songs of the night. Nevertheless, the crowd enjoyed it and sung along. The continued playing several songs from their two latest albums including Welcome to the Black Parade, which hosted a great fireworks display, Give 'em hell kid, a great energy booster, The Sharpest Lives, a little known but excellent song, House of Wolves, a great Live performance, Helena, with fantastic lighting and I Don't Love You, a good sing along. The highlight was certainly Mama, with Gerard barely having to sing at all, as the crowd did that for him. Simply fantastic lighting and energy made me love the song even more. They closed the set with Sleep which linked beutifully into Cancer. After much cheering, My Chemical Romance returned to the stage to perform Desert Song, one of my personal favourite songs of the band. At last, they finished up with Famous Last Words, with absolutely terrific pyro and light effects, and the crowd cheered until they could cheer no more. It was an unbelievable performance. // 10

Overall Impression: Australia, Melbourne, Rod Laver, 1st of December 2007. The support bands, The Getaway Plan and Circa Survive were much better than I anticipated, and really got the crowd revved up for the show. The only downside to the show was Gerard's vocals on some tracks. They simply weren't as terrific as they are on the record. However, they still sounded great. I loved the fireworks and pyrotechnics and just the overall energy of the performance. The tickets for General Admission cost around sixty-two dollars, definetly worth the show. It was a truely unforgetable performance and when My Chemical Romance return to Melbourne, I will certainly be first in line for a ticket. // 10

More My Chemical Romance reviews rating latest review