Ireland (Dublin), April 1, 2007 Review

8.8
 8.6
review (1) 3 comments vote for this concert:
Ireland (Dublin), April 1, 2007 Reviewed by: eoiniscool, on april 14, 2007

Sound: They opened the gig with The End and despite the excitement and euphoria I was very worried. The sound on The End and Dead! was diabolically bad-I couldn't hear the solo on Dead! despite being just outside the pit and unfortunately the "Lalalala" section of the song was lost on me. Thankfully though, with frantic work form the techs the sound picked up by their third song and after that was perfect. Gerard put on an impressive vocal performance and seemed genuinely emotional during Cancer, Ghost of You etc. while throwing out insane yelps during Guys Like us in Prison. // 7

Perfomance: This gig was amazing. They played the entire Black Parade album and then about half of 3 Cheers for Sweet Revenge. The crowd were engaged for every second, but I was quite disappointed and almost embarrassed at the lack of response from the non-fans around me. The response to Famous Last Words and I'm Not Okay were powerful, but the crowd should have sounded like that on every song. 01. The End - a heart monitor beeped, the song began and Gerard appeared on a hospital bed.He got out of the bed and ripped his gown off as the curtain pulled back to show the rest of the band.Sound was poor but performance was dramatic and brilliant. 02. Dead! - this was one of the songs I was looking forward to most but the sound system was so poor on this it was probably the weakest song of the night. Disappointing. 03. This Is How I Disappear - this was a brilliant song, with Gerard throwing the microphone out to the crowd just so they could all shout "f--k!" at the breakdown 04. Sharpest Lives - this was the first truely great song of the night. The lights were blinding and the song was fantastic. Now by far one of my favourite MCR songs. 05. Welcome To The Black Parade - this was another theatrical song, with cannons shooting black and white paper through the crowd at the end. I didn't enjoy this song much though, but I have no idea why. This was the first song that got a particularly good crowd response and I think that pissed me off. 06. I Don't Love You - this song surprised me as I thought it would be poor but turned out to be very good. The first lighter song of the night, it completely changed my opinion of this song. 07. House Of Wolves - can't say anything special about this song, but it was still up to standard and very entertaining.Brilliant, just not extravagant. 08. Cancer - Gerard seemed emotional before this song as he talked about cancer and dedicated the song to the victims of the disease. Again, I thought it would be a poor song but it turned out very well. 09. Mama - in my opinion the second best song of the night. There were red lights flashing for it's entirety and Gerard was basically going mental onstage. Truely fantastic performance. 10. Sleep - well this is such a brilliant song anyway it just had to be good live, which it was. Completely lived up to my hopes. 11. Teenagers - this song was so much fun! The whole crowd was buzzing for it, despite the TRL girls behind me who tried to knock me over every single time I jumped or tried to start a pit through the whole show. Very hyper song. 12. Disenchanted - the third lighter song of the night. It was quite emotional and worked well. Another standard yet great performance. 13. Famous Last Words - this song was made excellent by the crowd response. They didn't let down here and Gerard's rewording of the song took from it's power but made me laugh ("Awake and unafraid, asleep or f--king dead!") They left the stage after this and Blood played in the background. As the real fans smiled and sang along, the TRL girls wondered what the hell was going on. 14. I'm Not Okay - in darkness they played the intro of AC/DC's For Those About to Rock, then stormed the stage as this song began. Gerard ran around wrapped in an Ireland flag, giving a performance reminiscent of Green Day's King For A Day. Fantastic. 15. Give 'em Hell, Kid - I was surprised they played this and while it was still a good song I would have preferred to hear To The End. 16. Hang 'em High - I wasn't too taken with this song bar the thumping section following the intro. 17. Cemetery Drive - again wasn't totally gone on this song but the choruses were excellent. Now have a lot more respect for this song. 18. The Ghost Of You - this song was sung with strength and was abcolutely brilliant. 19. Thank You For The Venom - as expected, this song was fantastic. Just an all round superb performance. 20. You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison - My Favourite MCR song by far, I could have cried with joy when this song began. In my opinion the best song of the whole gig. It was packed with over the top energy and made my evening. Everything I could have hoped for and more. 21. Helena - still recovering from Guys like Us in Prison, I probably didn't give this song the attention it deserved until near the end. Still though, it was a great performance, good closer to the show, especially as the last line is "So long and good night", which was clearly a farewll to the crowd. // 10

Overall Impression: My Chemical Romance played the RDS Simmonscourt in Dublin, Ireland on April 1st 2007. Rise Against didn't cross the water to support which was a real pisser. Lost Alone supported and in my humble opinion, they were rubbish. Not my kind of music at all. I loved the whole show and the idea of bringing the album's story to life. The fact that they played all of The Black Parade was just fantastic. Tickets were 40euro and worth every penny. The best moments were when Gerard appeared on the hospital bed and, for me, the guitar solos. They're playing Oxegen Festival on July 7th and I'm going. I will do my utmost to catch their performance again, unless they're on at the same time as another unmissable band. An amazing night and a gig I won't forget. // 10

More My Chemical Romance reviews rating latest review