USA (Tampa), December 3, 2006 Review

9.7
 6.4
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
USA (Tampa), December 3, 2006 Reviewed by: GoodCharlotte92, on january 22, 2007

Sound: If you were one of the thousands that showed up for the Next Big Thing 6, which was an all day concert, then you know what it was like when My Chemical Romance stepped out onto the stage. The concert was held in the ampitheater, so the sound was great. Gerard Way is a great singer and really displayed his skills. They used their usual instruments, 2 guitars, bass, and drums. Some songs had piano in them so I don't know if it was pre-recorded or if there was one where I couldn't see it. // 9

Perfomance: Like I said, this was a show that people had been at since 10 in the morning to wait for their favorite band. My Chem was the biggest headliner and didn't come out until 9 at night. The audience went crazy when it wa finally time for My Chem to take the stage. They opened with The End. They then went into Dead! (which got a lot of feedback from te audience) and then played This Is How I Dissapear. From there I can't really remember the order. I know that they played Helena, I'm Not Okay, House Of Wolves, and Cancer. When they played the first note of Welcome To The Black Parade everyone went nuts. During Cancer, everyone took out their lighters and cell phones. And of course they played You Know What The Do To Guys Like Us In Prison. For those of you Who have never been to or seen a My Chem show then you don't know how much of a Tradition this song has become. Before he starts the song Gerard likes to do a sing-this-back-to-me kind of game. It was the end of the day and everyone was all boozed up (the show was sponsered by Miller Lite) and high by now, so we were a bit "challenged", if you will. It took us three times to finally get it right, Gerard laughed at us. They ended by playing either Teenagers or Famous Last Words, I don't remember which but I know they played both. They had Blood playing while everyone left. Oh, and they played Mama, one of the best songs ont the new album imo. // 10

Overall Impression: The Next Big Thing is a huge show with about 15 bands in it, that has been hosted by 97X for the past 6 years. USA, Tampa, Ford Ampitheater, December 3, 2006. As far as openers go I would guess that the 2 local bands were considered the openers, that would be Truly Sunday and Trace of Day. Say Anything (amazing), Luna Halo, Kill Hannah, Shiny Toy Guns, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus (I got there while shiny toys guns was playing but went over to the main stage to see these guys), Plain White T's, Seether (just Shaun, he did an acoustic set), OK GO, Three Days Grace (Canadian awesomness), Angels and Aiwaves (hooray for Tom), 0 Seconds To Mars (Jared Leto, nuff said), and Taking Back Sunday (channeling the spirit of Freddy Mercury and doing Mick Jagger dances) played earlier in the day. Absolutly loved the show, I don't think there was anyone Who didn't! My seat was in the 300's which was the 3 floor. Tickets for my seat were about $50 including taxes and fees. The show was obviously worth the money, a little ove $3 per band if you do the math. I wil definatly go to Next Big Thing 7 and get better seats. There were a ton of shirts that were only availible at the concert, I bought one that says liar on the front and Taking Back Sunday on the bottom of the back. There were also a lot of contests and chances to meet the bands, even though I didn't meet anyone and I'm now regretting it. Check out Norton's myspace for videos and other cool stuff frm the concert. // 10

More My Chemical Romance reviews rating latest review