Canada (Toronto), June 17, 2005 Review

9.9
 9.8
reviews (2) user comments vote for this concert:
Canada (Toronto), June 17, 2005 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2005

Sound: The band sounded unbelieveable in the amphitheatre. The band, having not toured North America in three years, proved beyond all doubt that they have more rock left in them than anyone else. Beyond the guitars and vox, the band's keyboard player was actually on piano on the stage's side. This added the Oasis sound circa 1995-1996 to the band's swirling rhythm section. The spound highlight, surprisingly, was none other than Zak Starkey on drums. Although White medled with Oasis' sound indesputably, Zak was able to take the band up a notch with his amazing skill. Overall, the crowd was witness to sonic brilliance. // 10

Perfomance: 01. F--in In The Bushes (intro) - the crowd was simply exploding while the band waited in the wings to make their entrance as the recording ended. 02. Turn Up The Sun - not a particularly strong introduction, but far better live than off the album. The piano gave this song what it needed 7/10. 03. Lyla - another weak choice of song. It is the band's more recent single, and the most well-known song off the record 7/10. 04. Love Like A Bomb - the first time it was ever played live. Not much positive crowd reaction 7/10. 05. Bring It On Down - first tune that really made the night spectaular. Vocals topped that of the album 10/10. 06. Morning Glory - one of the best songs to play live from Morning Glory. Gem and Zak stole the show on this one 10/10. 07. Cigarettes & Alcohol - another classic that held the crowd 9/10. 08. The Importance Of Being Idle - Noel's voice was at it's finest of the night (Save Don't Look Back In Anger). Sonically almost without flaw, but Noel's retreated posture was definitely not as rock 'n roll 9/10. 09. Little By Little - Noel pulled off a stunning performance on this one 9/10. 10. A Bell Will Ring - my favourite track off the new album (penned by Gem). The guitars and drums were perfect. Liam was on form 10/10. 11. Live Forever - played better than I'd ever heard. Ace 10/10. 12. The Meaning Of Soul - not too enjoyable. Liam can't write rockers 5/10. 13. Mucky Fingers - not a song I prefer. Noel's vocals were off slightly, but the rest of the crowd loved it 5/10. 14. Champagne Supernova - until this point of the night, the crowd had sung along loudly, but Champagne Supernova drew everyone's voice. The 7-minute time frame was so perfect 10/10. 15. Rock'n'roll Star - the song was performed at par, but the outro was unbelieveably intense. Zak once again showcased his skill 9/10. Encore: 16. Songbird - not energetic enough for the crowd. Andy went offstage, and Noel and Gem traded in their electrics for acoustic guitars for the only song of the night 5/10. 17. Wonderwall - what many in the crowd were waiting for. The sound was very very live and just as I'd imagined 9/10. 18. Don't Look Back In Anger - this was the real deal. I can leave this earth a happy man having sung along with Noel on this one. Absolutely perfect 10/10. 19. My Generation - I knew that this was going to be the set-closer (it's been ther setcloser for four years now); however, I was not prepared to experience the song as I did. Vocally, Liam captured every line with his own interpretation of the melody, Andy and Gem kept the rhythm solid, Noel performed a Townshend brilliantly with wailing guitar riffs, feedbacking sounds, and detuning his guitar while Zak drove the tempo ever-forward until at the most amazing speed the band drove into forray of C chords which marked the finale of my dream concert. Overall, save two or three flop songs, everything was absolutely spectular. Nearly every song was beyond my expectation. My only complaint is that Turn Up The Sun be replaced by something else and that "Stand By Me" were played. // 10

Overall Impression: Toronto, Canada, Molson Amphitheatre, 06. 17. 05. Having waited to see Oasis forever, the show certainly exceeded my already epic imagination's foresight. With the band performing better than I've ever seen on any of Oasis' DVDs or other lie compilations, it would be impossible to say that the show was not ace. With support from Nic Armstrong And The Thieves (perhaps I was their only real fan there) and Australia's Jet, the crowd was in tune with the show. Tickets were less than $20 CDN (10 pounds) ($15 US). No need to say that the price was worth it. The most unforgettable moment of the show was clearly the climactic ending of "Don't Look Back In Anger". However, it's difficult to shove the band's rendition of "My Generation" to the side, especially granted Zak's unparralelled percussion towards the accelerondo. I will definitely aim to see Oasis once more in my lifetime. // 10

Canada (Toronto), June 17, 2005 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2005

Sound: This was my first time seeing Oasis live in concert, I expected the sound quality to be mediocre but to my suprise it was clear and powerful. The band sounded better than they do on the albums which is somewhat rare among today's muscial artists. // 10

Perfomance: Oasis seemed to give off an energy that every single person in the crowd recieved a piece of. The opening live song, "Turn Up The Sun" may not have been the perfect song to chose, however it seemed to get things going. From the very beginning to the very end, people were screaming, dancing, smiling and having a blast. Champagne Supernova and Wonderwall were absolutely unbelievable; I have never seen or heard so many people singing at once. The energy was amazing, almost impossible to explain. As I looked around and saw individuals crying, it was apparent to me that those songs may have had more sentimental value to people than meets the eye. The lyrics poured out of everyone, it was truly overwhelming. At one point during Wonderwall Liam looked out into the crowd trying to take everything in, or thats what it looked like. Those two particular songs were unforgettable. The others, Lyla, Love Like A Bomb, Mucky Fingers, Live Forever, Rock N' Roll Star, Don't Look Back In Anger, Songbird, The meaning Of Soul, The Importance Of Being Idle, Bring It On Down, Cigarettes & Alcohol, Little By Little, A Bell Will Ring were all performed well and kept everyone excited to be there. Morning Glory created a buzz as it appeared that everyone was familiar with it. The "My Generation" cover was classic. I don't think its fair to expext perfection, but the performance blew me away and greatly surpassed my expectations. // 10

Overall Impression: Canada, Toronto, Molson Amphitheatre, June 17th 2005. Nic Armstrong And The Thieves was the first openers and were honestly pretty good, it was a shame that not many people were listening. Jet was the second opener, the songs that they played were disappointing as the set was made up of mostly old songs. It was a shame they didn't play new refreshing tracks, it was a let down. What I really loved about that show, and what really blew me away was the phenomenal energy from the crowd, it was cool and special to see so many people having no worries and just enjoying the music equally. My ticket cost 32$ CDN, it was definately worth the money, probably even more. The show is something that I will never forget for the rest of my life, and I will definately try to make it to any future local shows. // 10

More Oasis reviews rating latest review
+ UK (Coventry), July 7, 2009 9.4 07/10/2009