USA (Holmdel), July 26, 2005 Review

artist: Ozzfest date: 07/28/2005 category: live concerts
Ozzfest: USA (Holmdel), July 26, 2005
Everyone on Ozzfest sounded great. But some problems were during BLS set because of Zakk's solos and his guitar was crazy loud.
 Perfomance: 10
review (1) 1 comment vote for this concert:
USA (Holmdel), July 26, 2005 Reviewed by: #_of_the_beast, on july 28, 2005

Sound: Everyone I saw on Ozzfest sounded great. I was amazed on how well Ozzy sounded during the classic Sabbath tracks. Bruce Dickinson was flawless and all of the 2nd stage bands were also great. The only problem I had with The Sound System was on the main stage. When a singer would hit a high note or a guitarists ripped a solo sometimes it got to loud for the speakers and the sound got distorted and kind of scrambled. This was most notible on bands like BLS because of Zakk's solos and his guitar was crazy loud. But The Sound System didn't effect the performance at all, it's just something I picked up on. // 10

Perfomance: When I arrived around 10:00 in the morning you could hear It Dies Today from the parking lot and the crowd was really into it. Myself, never really being a fan of hardcore music tried to open up to it an I was amazed by the talent of these bands. Bands like As I Lay Dying were great as they played some classics like 94 Hours and Forever as well as some new songs. One band on the 2nd stage that caught my eye was Trivium. They we energetic from start to finish and were masters of there instruments taking solos that would melt your face. Speaking of melting, this concert just so happened to take place on NJ's hottest day in 3 years. So everyone was sweating bullets but this didnt stop the fans from throwing down to bands like Bury Your Dead and Killswitch Engage. We moved over to the main stage and waited for In Flames the Swedish metal band. They only played for 20 minutes but they made great use of it as they played some of the heaviest music played all day. Next up ws one of my personal favorites, Black Label Society. BLS kncked out song like Stoned And Drunk, Been A Long Time, Suicide Messiah, Stillborn, and Fire It Up featuring Big Dave from Battle For Ozzfest. BLS was great but the only problem I had with them was that they could of played more songs but Zakk took such long solos. Not saying theres anything wrong with that, I love guitar solos. But after about 15 minutes of him soling it kind of got old. They could of knocked out a few more songs. Shadows Falls was up next and they were way better than I expected. They found the perfect mix between slow and fast and soft and heavy. Next was Mudvayne. They didn't get the recodnition they should have because everyone was just to focused on the next band Iron Maiden. Honest to god 1 in every 10-15 people had an Iron Maiden shirt on including myself. Maiden played the Ides Of March tape over the loud speaker and the crowd lost it. They knocked out songs like Wrathchild, The Trooper, Revelations, Phantom Of The Opera, Run To The Hills, Number Of The Beast, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Iron Maiden and then came out for an encore which was Running Free and Sanctuary. I have neveer seen sucha great peformance in my like and they only played for an hour. Even my brother who does not like Iron Maiden said they were the best band hes ever seen live. Bruce gave a speech on if you were going to to accept Maiden you had to understand that they didn't do media. The crowd was way more into this band then any other. Next was the almighty Black Sabbath. They opened up with a thunderous version of NIB and went into song like War Pigs, Iron Man, Faries Wear Boots, Dirty Women, Paranoid, and they even did the song Black Sabbath. Their encore was Children Of The Grave. Ozzy was great weather he was mooning the crowd or just sounding great singing. // 10

Overall Impression: I saw Ozzfest in PNC Bank Arts Center on July 26th and they had another show on the 27th in the same place. I purchased my ticket for $80 but I got a seat so I assume lawn seats were cheaper. I have never been to a better show, I will definitly head back next year. // 10

More Ozzfest reviews rating latest review
+ USA (Dallas), August 9, 2008 9.6 09/17/2008