Australia (Sydney), October 5, 2006 Review

Perfomance: 9
 6.3
 3.5
review (1) 4 comments vote for this concert:
Australia (Sydney), October 5, 2006 Reviewed by: little_black, on october 09, 2006

Sound: Brendon has been slammed by critics for sounding terrible when he sings live. However, I thought that he did a more than adequate job, as did guitarist Ryan Ross. Brendon at times played the piano, as well as the guitar. Ryan played the guitar and the banjo for one song. As well as the bassist and drummer, two extra musicians were used, one playing cello, and the other playing the keyboard. Sound quality was amazing, considering the fact that it had to override thousands of 15 years old girls shrieking like banshees. // 9

Perfomance: The audience was 90% 15 year old fake-tanned tenny bopper top 40 girls, who burst my eardrums everytime Brendon Urie breathed. I had heard that P!ATD were terrible live, so I was bracing myself for the worst. But at the end of the night, I actually thought they had executed their set very well, at least pleasing their target audience with Brendon remarking, 'Sydney has some very beautiful girls'. But I got the feeling that what they played was a fixed set, and that they played the same set at every city they went to. I thought that this was the case because there was little or no improvisation during the show. Because they are a young band, having only 1 album to play songs from, they played every single song on the album, even the "Intermission". They also opted for two covers, Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins. I found it hilarious that the real music fans appreciated this, and the teeny boppers were rather subdued during the two covers. They opened with Time To Dance, which triggered a great crowd reaction: "When I say shotgun, you say wedding! Shotgun! Wedding! Shotgun! Wedding!" They also played the Intermission, But It's Better If You Do, and I Write Sins Not Tragedies in order and without pause, as it is on the album. The arena exploded during the top 40 hit I Write Sins Not Tragedies. A highlight for me was the band's performance of There's A Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought Of It Yet. That was probably just because it is my favourite song of theirs, but I felt that it aroused a great crowd reaction. Surprisingly, and to my dissapointment, the backdrop was very plain and unidentifiable. I had visioned a highly showy and grand decoration to accompany P! ATD's style, but unfortunately not. Also a disappointment was P!ATD's interaction with the audience. At times that they did speak, it was just flowing compliments like, "You guys are beautiful." and "I don't say this often, but, I love you guys." For me it got a bit too much, and it was obvious that they said it everywhere they went. Having said that though, the lead singer Brendon Urie has a great charisma, and the band looked as though they were really enjoying themselves on stage. // 9

Overall Impression: October 5th, Hordern Pavillion, Sydney, Australia. The two support acts were up-and-coming Australian band Something With Numbers, and cute-punk rockers Kisschasy. Both bands were a great platform for Panic!, my girlfriend and I really enjoyed Kisschasy. I love all three bands, and for me the ticket was buying a three-band concert. Something With Numbers were fantastic, and I reckon that they earned a few hundred new fans on the night. Kisschasy were sublime, and it was a shame that some of the audience didn't give them the respect that they deserved. Panic! At the Disco executed their set very well, and they certainly pleased their target audience. The ticket cost $50, and for me it was worth every penny. The unforgettable moment was meeting the band by chance after the gig, and my girlfriend got her shoe signed by Brendon Urie, and we got photos etc. The forgettable moments were when I feared for the life of my hearing, as the piercing screams of thousands of teenage girls was torture at it's most evil. Next time I see them live, I'll block my ears when the band comes on stage. However, all in all, it was an amazing night, showcasing the up-and-coming talents of three new bands. But I have to say, it was the first time I had seen that many glow-sticks at a gig. // 9

More Panic At The Disco reviews rating latest review