Canada (Montreal), August 22, 2008 Review

artist: paramore date: 08/25/2008 category: live concerts
paramore: Canada (Montreal), August 22, 2008
Paramore entered the stage with Born For This, a really good show opener because it gives crowd something to sing right at the begining.
 Perfomance: 10
 8.9
 8.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this concert:
Canada (Montreal), August 22, 2008 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 25, 2008

Sound: Singer, Hayley Williams, starts out loud, belting out note after note without ever faltering. She has an amazing voice and is capable of keeping the same strenght for all the lenght of the show, even when jumping around and head banging on the stage. The guitar paterns, though easy, do the job; they support Hayley's vocals. The drum, by Zac Faro, was perfect, never missing a beat and encouraging the audience to jump around or just to clap their hands to the beat. // 8

Perfomance: The audience in the front seemed really into it, but a bit in the back, where I was situated, people really lacked enthusiasm. In the fifty or so persons around me, I counted three, including me, who knew the lyrics and were into the show. Paramore entered the stage with Born For This, a really good show opener because it gives us something to sing right at the begining. And when we hit the brigde where Hayley goes "say it with me now, We were born for this" everybody just goes wild and repeats it after her (well, those Who know the lyrics, how hard is it to reapeat after her). Then, they played another one of my favorites, That's what you get. Being the song they recently made a video for, a lot of people know the lyrics and so everybody sang it together and Hayley even stopped singing at times and there was no problem continuing the song without her. After that, I don't really remember the exact order but they played Let the flames begin, When it rains, CrushCrushCrush and Fences, which were all good songs but non of them was really THE song of the night. For the first record, All we know is falling, we got three songs, Pressure, Emergency and My heart (the last one by popular demand). The first two were good early paramore with an edge they didn't have then and My heart was a bit strange, at the end, there's a part of humming and Hayley had us humming with her. From my perspective, it seemed more like a strange cult with Williams begin the priest and us the followers. To reenergize the crowd after this, we got For a pessimist, I'm pretty optimistic which really made the crowd jump. It was a really good song, full of energy and power. They then played a song from the Riot B-sides, Decoy, which I knew but I don't think it was the case for everybody. I loved it, it's really a raw song, full of "mean", so we could let it all out. My favourite song of the evening came with We are broken. It just gave me chills to hear all the crowd sing "We are broken" again and again, like a chant. And then at the end of the song, have them again, repeating "We just want to be whole". Really, it was a magic experience, even if a bit terrifying. They closed the show which, what else, Misery Buisness, which really got the crowd singing. You don't go to a show without knowing at least one show and it seemed that for most, this was the song. // 10

Overall Impression: Canada, Montreal, Metropolis, August 22 2008, I won't ever forget. In opening, we had Paper Route, which weren't really tyo my taste but they played okay. Then, we had Phantom Planet, which was my favorite opener and they had I think the most success with the crowd of the openers. Everybody sang one song with them, California. Lastly, when the excitement of seeing Paramore was at it's peek, we got Jack's Mannequin. It was okay, nothing spectacular but nothing too bad either. Anyway, for about 30$ iut was well worth the money and I'll definitely be at Paramore's next Montreal show! Count me in! // 9

More Paramore reviews rating latest review
+ Argentina (Buenos Aires), February 24, 2011 8.5 03/25/2011