UK (London), July 2, 2005 Review

artist: pink floyd date: 03/13/2006 category: live concerts
pink floyd: UK (London), July 2, 2005
According to David Gilmour, the band did not practice at all, they all hoped that they still knew how the songs go.
 Perfomance: 10
 9.9
 9.7
reviews (3) 12 comments vote for this concert:
UK (London), July 2, 2005 Reviewed by: hak_hap, on july 06, 2005

Sound: Well, dear friends of the old fashioned psychodelik rock of the '70s: Pink Floyd are back! I'm only twenty years old, but I claim to be one of the biggest fans and I swear that I heard every song the band ever released. Even the BBC archives and the live albums, including the rare versions of "Interstellar Overdrive" and "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" and even "Vegetable Man" (that one's quite scary, but in a nice way). Roger Waters "returned" to the Band. Now Dave Gilmour, Nick Mason, Roger Waters and Rick Wright have come back to life. When I saw these four old man, smiling at each other and starting to play "Breathe" I cried a bit (no joke, don't laugh about me). They played their usual instruments, an acoustic guitar (Waters), an electric guitar (Gilmour) and Bass (Waters). Mason did well an the drums and so did Rick Wright. The quality of the sound was awesome. Although it wasn't their gig, the stage belonged to them for the length of four songs. // 10

Perfomance: I enjoyed the performance. Roger Waters was really in a good shape, Dave Gilmour really got old an Nick Mason, well, he did as if it was still 1974! Wright was excellent. The band played four song: first "Breathe," then "Money" (awesome bass performance by Waters), "Wish You Were Here" (Roger Waters said, that this song was for everybody who couldn't be there, especially for Syd (Syd Barret, the "Floyd's unforgotten Hero"). According to David Gilmour, the band did not practice at all, they all hoped that they still knew how the song go. They played so well, the guitar solo's by Gilmour gave youth to his talented fingers as he did the Solo part in "Wish You Were Here." The whole performance was a special moment, I pray (yes, I pray, 'cause this band inspired me to start playing guitar and they are part of my inspiration) that they keep together and make a great "re-united tour." // 10

Overall Impression: On the 2nd of July 2005 history was made. The Live8 Concert is the biggest event in the world ever. Doeas that sound exaggerated? No, 'cause it's the truth. On the 6th of July Edingburgh will be the place of "The Final Push", poverty must be beaten, it must be possible. Besides that, to come back to Pink Floyd: they performed at about 0:30 o'clock in London, Hyde Park. Their performance made my fan - heart beat faster. I grabbed my guitar and joined Roger Waters as he played "Wish You Were Here." I played the song "live" with him and the rest of the band. I started to wish that Syd was there, too. I would definitely go to their next concert and my recommend all of you who read this to remember one thing: Pink Floyd are the biggest band ever (besides The Beatles). Yes, better than the Rolling Stones, better than Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Moody Blues, Wings and so on. Not to make any Beatle fan angry: The Beatles were the most talented band ever, but Pink Floyd is the most creative band ever. My tip: listen to: "The Dark Side Of The Moon," "Live In Pompeii" (watch the DVD and you won't need drugs! Drugs are bad), "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn," "Umma Gumma." Keep it up, guys and "shine on you crazy diamonds"! // 10

UK (London), July 2, 2005 Reviewed by: superguitarist1, on november 08, 2005

Sound: To clear one thing up, I saw the Australian Pink Floyd, just so you know. The singers were awesome, they sounded just like the real people. Or the real people on the record. It was a variety of instruments. The 'arsenal' icludes; several keyboards (names unknown), Fender Precision, Status Fretless, Boss Effects & Sansamp DI's, GK amps & SWR speakers, Fender Strat Plus Delux w/ GK-3 midi pickup, Ovation Custom Balladeer acoustic, Yamaha APX10 acoustic w/ GK-3 midi pickup, Roland VG-8, VGA-7 amp, GI-10 Guitar midi converter, ART SGX 2000 Express, TC Electonic Triple. C compressor, Sure Beta 87 microphone, Alesis QS7 keyboard, DW Drums & hardware, Ludwig 1975 'Black beauty' snare and a 1205th anniversary Gretsch (Round badge) custom snare, Zidjian K & A Customs, and a David Gilmour replica rig (information on the instruments was recieved through bios) The sound quality was amazing. Like I said before, it sounded just like the record. // 10

Perfomance: I enjoyed them very much. I've seen other concerts, but this was the first real concert I've been to. The songs that I can remember them playing are few (my memory is bad from so much marijuana at the concert), but they are good: 01. Another Brick In The Wall - amazing performance on this one, especially on guitar. 02. Wish You Were Here - wonderful acoustic and vocals. 03. Have A Cigar - wasn't my favorite, but who couldn't love it after that performance! 04. Dark Side Of The Moon - great keyboard skills for this song. Another great thing about this concertt Pink Floyd themselves likes the band so much that they were actually endorsed to use the Pink Floyd light show. Screen, lights, and all! // 10

Overall Impression: This concert was in the Rosemont theatre in Rosemont, Illinois in the USA (country should be obvious). If there was anybody opening for them, I didn't see them, so I can't say anything on that. I think the only thing I didn't like about the show was all the weed people were smoking. For someone this good the tickets were an amazing price. I think somewhere around $37 dollars per person. And it was definitely worth the price. No girls, unfortunately, and I can't drink beer yet, but the one thing that stood out in my mind was the intermission and the light show. I can't go to the next show, but I'd see them every day if I could! // 10

UK (London), July 2, 2005 Reviewed by: Mr Pink, on march 13, 2006

Sound: Well friends, I was one of the lucky ones to win tickets to this collosal event, and for a Floyd fan as big as myself, there could be no better moment. The first time in twenty four years since the all band (including Roger Waters that is) played live on "The Wall" tour in 1981, there could not have been a better climax to the biggest rock concert the world has ever seen. The sun had set, The Who had played, lights flitted in and around the audience, and the air was filled with anticipation. As the first heart beats of "Breathe" sounded through the magnificent pa system, the clouds lifted with the cheers erupting from our mouths. David was playing his pedal steel live, which is always an advantage, and the lighting and video effects were excellent, with the Dark Side of The Moon LP spinning away behind the masters of rock. David's black Fender Stratocaster, Rogers Black Fender Bass, Nick's tremendous drumkit, and Richard's huge keyboard, the sound was absolutely amazing. The way they played as if over two decades was only a week, the sound was seamless, notes poured out of the massive amps without even a hint of age or mistake. David Gilmour's voice hasn't aged a day since his early Floyd years, and Roger Waters' strange but unique voice has kept the same air and atmosphere that characterised so many of our favourite Floyd tracks. Overall, the sound of this performance quite honestly just cannot be faulted. Four of the world's best musicians on one stage, really what is there to criticise? // 10

Perfomance: These four songs brought a lump to my throat. At only 15 years old at the time, I never thought I'd get the chance to see The Floyd live, and now they've declared theselves officialy over, I'm glad I did. The song list was extremely limited, the four songs being "Breathe (including reprise)," "Money," "Wish You Were Here" and "Comfortably Numb." It would ave been nice to see other Floyd favourites such as "Another Brick In The Wall" and "Run Like Hell," but time just wouldn't allow it. I have to admit, Comfortably Numb was the hhighlight for me and most people, and the ending solo just sang from David's magical fingers. The applause was just earth shaking. And to see the Band hug at the end was even better, knowing the harsdships and relations of the band members throughout the last two decades. Again, there was no room for criticism. // 10

Overall Impression: Okay, I know this review seems biased and glowing, but a reunion this major cannot be faulted, especially not to fan as big as myself. The concert as a whole was unforgettable, but with a show stopper this huge it is impossible to describe with words. During the two days following as was completey in awe of what I had witnessed, my ears were still ringing from the noise, the final notes of Comfortably Numb's collosal guitar solo were still sounding in my head, and my legs still ached from standing up for 13 hours. Beleive me when I say this though, I wouldn't have misses this for the world. And for the sake of 1.50 in a text message. Well I think it may have been worth it, don't you? // 10

Comments