Ireland (Dublin), November 4, 2012 Review

9.2
 9.3
review (1) pictures (11) 1 comment vote for this concert:
Ireland (Dublin), November 4, 2012 Reviewed by: cillianmlc, on march 12, 2012

Sound: Let me begin by making it clear that the bands performance was flawless. The "8" is down to the average quality of the sound in the O2 Arena in Dublin. If there was to be one lowpoint of the gig that would be it. Anthony Kiedis lost his voice halfway through the gig but the crowd barely noticed (plus we got a rare "Factory Of Faith" chorus sung by Josh Klinghoffer alone). Flea was at his very best on the night, treating the crowd to a story about the bassline in the song "Me And My Friends" and even performing a handstand during the encore. Chad Smith dazzled the crowd with him and new percussionist Mauro Refosco's duet drum solo. In 2009 when John Frusciante left the band, fans questioned newcomer Josh Klinghoffer's ability to step into Frusciante's shoes. If you have seen this band live this year then have no fear. Not only does Klinghoffer fill the role with ease but he adds a completely new dimension to the band and the whole group benefits as a result. // 8

Perfomance: 01. "Monarchy Of Roses": This was the best opener to a gig I have ever seen. I won't lie, I wasn't expecting this song to be so powerful live but as soon as the lights on the stage started flashing and Flea and Chad began to open the gig, I knew it was going to be one of the best moments of the night. 02. "Dani California": Quickly becoming a Chili Peppers classic, "Dani California" brought the gig to the next level by giving us our first taste of Klinghoffer's ability as a soloist. 03. "Charlie": Really brought back memories of listening to "Stadium Arcadium" for the first time and I really felt the energy from this song. An excellent interpretation of the album version. 04. "Look Around": A future classic. As soon as the riff came in the crowd would not stop jumping. The singalong was brilliant and the band gave one of their most solid performances of the night. 05. "Scar Tissue": A softer moment in the concert but by no means a lowpoint. The singalong was a sight to behold as thousands sung back at Kiedis rivalling him on every note. 06. "Throw Away Your Television": Great to see this track being played live and it gave way to a very energetic outro which had the crowd buzzing for more. 07. "The Adventures Of Raindance Maggie": Fantastic singalong for this track due to its radio exposure. The band gave us a real treat with an extended outro which showcased each band members virtuosity on their preferred instrument. 08. "Can't Stop": A real high point in the gig, the fans literally went crazy to this song and moshpits formed. 09. "Emit Remmus": For some reason I was disappointed that this song was played ahead of the likes of "Breaking The Girl" or "Police Station", it never really took off and was a rare lowpoint in the gig. 10. "Me And My Friends": A personal favourite that was my highlight of the night. I was still disappointed with how few members of the crowd knew this 25 year old beast but it was still a wild and frantic performance. 11. "Factory Of Faith": Another future classic. Josh sang the chorus on this song and it really added a new feel to it. Very well received by the crowd. 12. "Under The Bridge": Amazing. The one of the best reactions of the night, second only to "By The Way". This song had everyone singing at the top of their lungs and it was a beautiful moment to behold. 13. "Right On Time": Another personal favorite that I was thrilled to see played. It threw the already tired crowd into a frenzy. 14. "Californication": Another well-received hit. Klinghoffer again showcasing his abilities on the guitar for us all and attracting a huge singalong. 15. "By The Way": The best crowd reaction of the night. It had everything, the crowd were moshing one minute and blissfully singing along the next. A real amazing moment. 16. "Around The World": Flea's bass solo set off the absolute leviathan of a song which again set the crowd off and lost us all in the layers of funk that they were delivering. 17. "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere": A cover of the Neil Young classic that surprised me because the crowd did not seem to sing along. I felt isolated during this song which was not a positive thing. 18. "Give It Away": The classic RHCP song to end the gig. Coupled with an extended outro this was the perfect end to a magnificent show and sent us all home above content. // 10

Overall Impression: The concert cost around 60 euro and was well worth the money. The support act Fool's Gold were generally well-received even though people were getting impatient. They are playing Croke Park in June and I have already purchased a ticket. This was my first time seeing this band live having been a longtime fan and overall it was a well worth the trouble. // 10

More Red Hot Chili Peppers reviews rating latest review