UK (London), July 15, 2006 Review

Perfomance: 10
 8.5
review (1) 5 comments vote for this concert:
UK (London), July 15, 2006 Reviewed by: nirvana_89_94, on july 17, 2006

Sound: What an amazing band. I know everyone Who has seen them says "Oh, they're amazing" etc, and for the people who haven't seen them, they might go "Well, it's all talk because the band is so big". This was my first time seeing the Chilis, and even though I love the band, I went there with the latter in my head. Well, I'm glad to say I was completly wrong. Anthony's voice was as good as ever, I know some people critisize his singing, claiming he can only rap, but tonight he did both to near perfection. Flea was his usual eccentric self, his rubber-like neck kept bouncing all night long, as did his astounding bass riffs. Chad, the under-rated member of the band suprised me at how strong his presence was behind the drum kit. And last, but most definately not least, I come to Frusciante. The most amazing guitarist out there at the moment, Frusciante not only played each song perfect and to his unique style, this showmanship was astounding. Truly first class. The olny down point was earls court itself. The venues acoustics were not the best in the world, and sometimes caused unwanted echo. // 10

Perfomance: They played a wide range of their songs, going as far back as the uplift mofo party plan. The show opener was Can't Stop, a sure-fire way to get the audience going. I was quite suprised as well at how easily their new material slipped into their act so semlessly. Other big hits included californication, by the way and give it away (all sending the audience wild). The new material played was Dani California, Snow (Hey Oh), Charlie, We Believe and Tell Me Baby. They also played old favorites such as My Friends, and (to my delight) I Could Have Lied. Suprisingly, songs such as Under The Bridge, Around The World, The Zephyr Song and Parallel Universe were left out, but then again, with a back catalogue like the Chilis it's hard to fit everything in. Plus the songs, Frusciante and Flea both had a little go singing, Flea did one small song, Frusciante two. Then there was the amazing intrumental pieces by Flea, John and Chad that left me in complete ecstacy. I must also comment on the lighting used, really fitted with their style. // 10

Overall Impression: The openers of the gig, !!!, were quite poor. They played about 3 or 4 songs, each sounding the same. As one of the members of the band said as they walked off "If you can stand to listen to us, you can stand anything". Bar them, the show was absolutely fantastic. The ticket cost me 40, so quite a bit, but it was worth every penny. I will definately go and see them again ASAP. // 10

More Red Hot Chili Peppers reviews rating latest review