USA, (San Luis Obispo), October 29, 2008 Review

Perfomance: 8
 6.9
 7.7
review (1) 7 comments vote for this concert:
USA, (San Luis Obispo), October 29, 2008 Reviewed by: _RockOnForever_, on october 31, 2008

Sound: Senses Fail, at least to my understanding, has been known as a "studio band". Even I will admit, being a Senses Fail fan since the From the Depths of Dreams EP, Buddy is not the best Live singer. He tends to not sing all the lyrics or muffle them. Despite the lacking in this aspect, Senses Fail has always made up for it with great instrumental work. Guitarists Heath Saraceno and Garret Zablocki melted faces while newest addition and bassist Jason Black kept them in rhythym and drummer Dan Trapp laid down fat beats. The switch to Washburn was a great decision and fits the band's sound quite well. I was disappointed, however, when I sensed that the lead guitar was out of tune for "Family Tradition". Overall, I was mostly impressed with the instrumental performance and the clarity and crispness of each. // 7

Perfomance: What Buddy lacks up for in vocal talent, he makes up for in stage presence. He gets very up in your face, interacting with the crowd on a constant basis and keeping everyone entertained and involved. I was very disappointed, however, when I didn't see very many people moshing, even for the opening bands. I think it's partly due to the kind of town I'm in, nonetheless it was a downer. Senses Fail's set covered each album, which had very mixed responses. Here is a short commentary on the most notable songs: Rum Is For Drinking - great audience involvement, One Eight Seven - F'ing classic, Buried A Lie - awesome, Bite To Break Skin - amazing, Calling All Cars - old SF meets new SF, Lungs Like Gallows and Wolves At The Door - great demonstration of Buddy's screaming development, Family Tradition - detuned lead?, Can't Be Saved - ending on a great song. // 8

Overall Impression: The openers for this show were Foxy Shazam, Sky Eats Airplane, and Dance Gavin Dance. I was not able to see Foxy Shazam but I was told they had very intense, animated stage presence. The second and third bands, especially Dance Gavin Dance were very good, making me wish I should've gone for the entire show. The venue was very small and cramped due to pillars supporting the upstairs bar and the wall separating the floor bar. Tickets were $16 and, in my opinion, a fantastic deal. If the ticket price is similar and the opening bands are just as good, I will definitely go to the next show, although, if Senses Fail is performing, I wouldn't need much convincing. Haha! // 8

More Senses Fail reviews rating latest review