Sound: Serk Tankian is an amazing vocalist. On top of that, the concert venue had great acoustics. Serj played guitar and piano in addition to just singing. His backup band consisted of drums, bass, guitar, keyboard/piano, etc. The sound quality was excellent overall except that I felt that the bass overshadowed the rest of the instruments slightly. However, this wasn't too big of a problem. One of Serj's mic's crapped out but he grabbed another one right away so, again, no big deal. The band played excellently and I have no complaints. // 9
Perfomance: The audience loved him even calling for an encore after the first one. The crowd went especially wild when Serj and the FCC (Flying Cunts of Chaos) busted into Lie Lie Lie. Serj is an excellent showman and interacted with the audience well. Here is a list of the songs played in no particular order:
01. Empty Walls - this song was an eruption of energy by the band a crowd alike. Serj hid slight vocal variations throughout song to differentiate it from the CD.
02. Beethoven's Cunt - again lots of energy and a crowd favorite. Serj was very active with gestures and poses throughout. Better than CD.
03. Praise The Lord And Pass The Ammunition - hard song to replicate in concert but Serj did very well.
04. Holiday In Cambodia - Serj and the FCC put a new twist on this old classic. One of the best songs at the concert.
05. Charades - something serj used to do at the axis of justic shows on the piano. Serj has included the band in this now and it is actually quite good.
06. Sky Is Over - one of my personal favorites and Serj pulled it off flawlessly. Only complaint is there were some people in my way, lol, no big deal.
07. Honking Antelope - one of my least favorite songs on the CD, but seeing it in concert is a whole different experience. One of my favorites of the night.
08. Unthinking Majority - this was Serj's first Encore song. Highest crowd energy on the night(crowd surfing, moshing, etc). Was my favorite of the night. The band and Serj were a cohesive unit and had very high energy.
09. Lie Lie Lie - hiarious introduction to this song, "Have any of you seen the movie Borat? (crowd cheers) Very nice! Have any of you seen the play romeo and juliet? Sweet! Now. What do you get when you take borat and romeo and juliet and make 'em Fuck? Lie Lie Lie." Was very good with high band and crowd energy.
10. Elect The Dead - was a good slow closer. Serj did this one solo.
11. Baby - one of the best of the night. Serj tried hard to connect with the audience with gestures.
12. Saving Us - not much to say other than was performed very well.
13. Feed Us - very good.
Special moments were when Serj would banter to the audience. When Serj walked out with a white top hat and white suit and thres of the band had black ones. // 10
Overall Impression: The concert was at the Shaw conference Centre in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada on March 16th 2008. From fair to midland opened for Serj. They put on a pretty good show but not too impressive. I loved how personable and nice Serj was along with a lot of humor. The wait between the openers and Serj was a little long but that's pretty minor. The tickets were around 40$ a piece and were worth every penny and then some. The most unforgettable moment of the show was probably the opening for Lie Lie Lie. I willdefinately go to their next show. Serj is one of my favorites, always has been and always will be. // 10