UK (London), October 31, 2008 Review

8.7
 4.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this concert:
UK (London), October 31, 2008 Reviewed by: jim1845, on february 19, 2009

Sound: Slayer have never let down their fans at any gig they have played after nearly 28 years of Slayer and they haven't stopped yet. Starting off with Tom's voice. His voice has changed over 28 years on album and live and kind of in a good way. His voice has got a lot deeper and gives it more of what Slayer's sound is. Tom's voice sounded O.K., but wasn't the best of a voice I have heard Live before. With Tom's signature ESP bass he has never hit the stage with anything other than that bass. Jeff would obviously have to use his ESP's. I say ESP'S, beacause on the night, they played songs such as "Disciple" and "Dittohead" which are dropped in tuning which made Jeff drop the tuning of his guitar, same with Kerry. Kerry used his B\.C\. Rich guitars. Kerry's signature Beast Marshall amplifier that was used on the night, certainly came through and you could hear every note. I'm not sure about Dave's drums, I believe he was using Tama drums I'm not greatly sure. The quality of the sound wasn't crystal clear, but it was god enough to know when the lyrics were coming in. It didn't sound like complete noise, but at the Hammersmith Apollo, which is quite a small place there's not alot of room for the sound to move, if it makes sence. The sound didn't echo enough to make the sound much clearer. // 8

Perfomance: It was my first time seeing Slayer and I was very surprised over how good they actually were and I did enjoy it very much. I don't remember too much of what they played. I remember they started off with "Flesh Storm" from the "Christ Illusion" album. Its was the most exciting song of the night, obviously, because Slayer just hit the stage. I remember that just for the Halloween gig they told us that "this is halloween, right, trick or treat, right, well we are gonna treat you, this Chemical Warfare". That was cool. They did the obvious classics such as South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss and of course Raining Blood and Angel of Death. The special moment of the gig was at the start before they hit the stage. There was a big white curtain and then they had these projections shining on the curtain with signs of "Slayer" and pentagrams and then all of a sudden in the back ground you could silhouettes of the band members which are obviously real, and Dave counted in the 1,2,3,4, on the hi-hat, curtain dropped and "Flesh Storm" started. Best part of the gig. The funniest and weidest part of the gig was when, what you get at several gigs a blown up condom floating around the venue. // 9

Overall Impression: The gig was in England, London, Hammersmith Apollo on the 31st October, 2008. As it was the Unholy Alliance there were obviously opening bands. There were a band that were playing but were not on the line-up, I don't know what the name of the band were and I just showed up as soon as they finished off their last song. There Amon Amarth, I had about them but never listened to them and that was the first time I had heard them and I was very happy with them. There was Mastodon that I was never a huge fan of but for that gig I though different about them, I thought they perfomed very well. And there was Trivium that was my second time seeing them and they nearly as good as Slayer but Slayer still stole the show by far. I was quite happy with most of the show, the only thing that annoyed me the most was Matt Heafy's attitude. When Matt found somebody booing Trivium he went down to HIM and spit in his face which dislike Trivum or at least Matt Heafy alot. The cost 40(around that price). The show, in the end was really worth it's money. Every band was terrific and every band really pulled forward to make that particular show the best of the UK tour. The most unforgettable monments of the gig was when Slayer first hit the stage or maybe when Matt Heafy spit the dudes face. I would definately go to their next gig, just to see if it would act up to how good that this gig was. // 9

More Slayer reviews rating latest review
+ USA (Bonner Springs), August 23, 2010 9.2 08/27/2010