Hong Kong, August 3, 2004 Review

artist: steve vai date: 08/05/2004 category: live concerts
steve vai: Hong Kong, August 3, 2004
Steve Vai and his band were amazing. They played all of their classics. There wasn't an opening band.
 Perfomance: 10
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
Hong Kong, August 3, 2004 Reviewed by: hololos, on august 05, 2004

Sound: Steve Vai and his band were amazing last night. Vai, Tony MacAlpine (Planet X), David Weiner (Solo Artist), Billy Sheenan and drummer Jeremy Colson played an excellent set. The guitars were tight, and Vai showed off his incredible skills, Tony and Dave also provided excellent Rythym/Lead playing to accompany Steve Vai. Steve Vai used his Signature Ibanez Jem, MacAlpine used his Signature Carvin, and David Weiner used an Ibanez RG 7-String, Billy Sheenan used his Signature Yamaha 5 String-Bass, and Jeremy used a classic Tama Drumkit. The quality of the sound was great overall, but due to the fact that I was sitting near the speakers, I was practically going deaf. Apart from that, I'd still give the Overall Impression of the Sound & Music a thrilling 5-star! // 10

Perfomance: The audience was crazy, and I enjoyed the show as it's the first Live Rock Band I've seen live. They played all of their classics such as Bad Horsie, For The Love Of God (A Highlight Of The Show), Genocide, Liberty, The Crying Machine and the best song of the set, a rendition of Jimi Hendrix' 'Fire' in which he played tribute and quoted, "This song, is by Jimi Hendrix. Why? Cause he's the fucking greatest." All the songs sounded wicked, and during Bad Horsie he had Lights on his fingers, his head, and his fretboard and performed his classic 'Bad' Horsie positions. He also told us a related story. "Well, as you all know, I spoke about Britney Spears on the G3 Live In Astoria DVD, and this is my Karma for talking 'bout her. Well, I live in a small town in Los Angeles, and next door to me, there's a massive mansion where John Wayne used to live. Well, now they've smashed everything up and decided to re-build the house. I went up and asked one of the workers there why they're re-building it, and he said 'Because the person that bought it wanted it done all over again'. And I asked 'Who's this person you speak of?' 'Have you heard of Britney Spears?' So, when she moves in, I'll bring around some cookies, some drinks, and eh, some condoms! [laughs] That was a highlight of the show too! Lastly, the decorations were plain and simple, but the lighting was fabolous although they played in a small-ish ghetto stage. It was damn worth it! Another 5-star! // 10

Overall Impression: The show was held on Tuesday August 3rd 2004 in Hong Kong Kowloon Bay Trade & Exhibition Center. There wasn't an opening band, but instead they played CD's of random Metal Bands through the speakers. The show was amazing, I loved every part of it apart from the beginning, where we had to wait for a while for VAI to come out, it was worth the time. The tickets were at a decent price, at around $70 US ($580 HKD) It was worth the money, although in the end, we all charged up to the front to get a perfect glimpse of the band! There wasn't unforgettable moments really, but everything was unforgettable and I would definetely go to their next show. // 10

More Steve Vai reviews rating latest review