USA (Westbury), March 29, 2005 Review

9.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
USA (Westbury), March 29, 2005 Reviewed by: soundrock31, on june 06, 2005

Sound: The sound may have been a tad overkill. Not to say that any of Vai and his all star bandmates sounded bad, but they had enough speakers in that small auditorium to blow out a large outdoor venue. But other than that, the sound was picture perfect and balence was definatly on key. However, Vai's opening act was an amazing slide guitarist name Eric Sardinas, who seemed to have a better sound at times then Vai did. // 8

Perfomance: It was just awesome seeing Vai perform in a venue that was about 3 minutes driving distance away from his childhood home. He talked of how he always wanted to play here growing up and how much he loved the area. This was truely inspirational to me since I am just some kid guitar player with talent and crazy hopeless dreams. But his performance was enthrauling, especially when it came to his other instrumentalists. I was extremely impressed with Vai. He can capture an audience with a 15 minute solo without boring anyone, he must have adult add to be as off the wall as he is. What also impressed me was the bassist Billy Sheehan (played with Vai in the David Lee Roth band and now tours with Vai). His solos were at time just as impressive as Vai's, he plays a better bass than most people can play a regular guitar. Its hard to truely explain his talent, but he can shred on the bass like no other, and I mean no other. // 10

Overall Impression: This took place in Westbury NY, not to far from where I live. His opener Eric Sardinas kicked ass. His slide guitar abilities made me go to my local guitar center and buy a few slides myself. Other than the sound blasting (which caused my friend to develop an ear infection) I can't find any other flaw in this show. Just great. I wanna finish this off with one more statement about Vai that might piss of a lot of people. I think Diamond Dave was the smartest man in the world by leaving Van Halen's over-rated theatrics and hired Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan to play in his solo project. Not to say that the solo project made better songs than VH, but if anyone wants to see an all out solid guitarists who rips your heart out and throws it against an amp, see Steve! // 10

More Steve Vai reviews rating latest review