Sound: Both Serj and Daron sound much better live than on the album. Daron used Gibson SGs the entire time, I don't know what bass Shavo used, (it was the one he used on the BYOB video), and John used Tama drums. Serj also used a Fender Telecaster, an acoustic, and some keyboards. They played every note perfectly, and you could hear it perfectly. // 10
Perfomance: The audience absolutely loved it. Serj and Daron really got the crowd involved with almost every song they played. Here's their set:
01. Soldier Side (Intro) - before SOAD came on, there was a huge curtain covering the stage with the artwork for Mezmerize on it. Daron played Soldier Side behind it with a spotlight projecting his silhouette. Everyone started cheering.
02. BYOB - everyone was dancing and jumping around to this song. It really got the crowd going.
03. Revenga - it was lots of fun. Great song.
04. Know - it was the first time I heard this song, and it kicked ass. I have got to get their first album.
05. Hypnotize - the title track off their upcoming album, "Hypnotize." It seems pretty cool.
06. Needles - before they did this, Daron said into the mic, "Pull to take one out of your ass." The crowd cheered like hell.
07. Deer Dance - they had the entire crowd yelling, "pushing little children with the fully automatics! They like to push the weak around!"
08. Suggestions - this was a sure crowd pleaser. Serj got everyone clapping their hands to the intro. It was Incredibly catchy.
09. Psycho - everyone was clapping their hands along to the intro and yelling, "Psycho! Groupie! Cocaine! Crazy!"
10. Chop Suey! - the entire crowd was singing along to this song. It just plain rocked.
11. Kill Rock N Roll - another song off Hypnotize. It's really awesome and catchy. I can't wait for that album to come out.
12. Sad Statue - another song where the audience sang the chorus with all their hearts.
13. Violent Pornography - God yes this song is so awesome. He started off by playing the chorus really slow, then singing, "The kinda s--t that's on your TV. Brought to you by the people who bring you Jesus Christ. Brought to you by the people who bring you George Bush. Where is the real Jesus Christ?" The crowd was going nuts.
14. Mr. Jack - the only song they played off Steal This Album. I'm pretty sure Serj played guitar on it too. They had the crowd yelling "F--k you pig!" at the end. They also had a huge screen in the background proclaiming the same message.
15. Cigaro - Daron started off by playing this song really slow. It sounded really funny. Everyone was singing along to it.
16. This Cocaine Makes Me Feel Like I'm On This Song - Serj was playing keyboards on this song. It absolutely rocked.
17. Bounce - as you can tell by the name of the song, everyone in the entire stadium was jumping up and down to one of my favorite System songs ever. I saw one kid with a shirt that said "I brought my pogo stick," and it was pretty funny.
18. ATWA - The guys in front of me were really surprised that they played this song. Lighters and cell phones went up during the verses, and there was total chaos during the choruses.
19. Forest - Serj got the entire crowd singing "Why can't you see that you are my child?"
20. Lost In Hollywood - phones and lighters went up almost immediately. Ironically, there was a lot of moshing going on the floor during this slow song.
21. Question! - Serj was playing the acoustic guitar to this. Everyone was singing along to the choruses.
22. War? - Serj and Daron were playing this song with the same synth heard on Old School Hollywood. That got many people's hopes up that they would play it, but they didn't. Good song, nonetheless.
23. Prison Song - during the intro, lots of people were yelling, "They're trying to build a prison!" It rocked out loud.
24. Aerials - Serj was playing guitar on this song too. Lots of people were putting their arms up as if they were praying during the choruses.
25. Toxicity - the crowd went nuts during this song. Serj changed the lyrics to "The toxicity of our city, oh so pretty."
26. Science - the crowd was jumping and going crazy during this song.
27. Suite-pee - Everyone cheered when they heard Daron play the intro. Everyone was either going crazy, singing along, or both.
28. Sugar - they couldn't have picked a better song to finish their set. They left Oakland with a bang. Before they played the song, Daron said, "Give it up for hella! (some cheering) Give it up for the mars volta! (lots of cheering) Give it up for Metallica! They're still cool, right?" (Lots more cheering)
There wasn't too much weird stuff during the show. System had great lighting. As I said before, they had a huge curtain with the Mezmerize artwork on it covering their setup, and a huge screen behind them. The mars volta's decoration was really cool, though. they had two backdrops: one consisting of a giant ball of spiders, and another one that was a huge optical illusion with white and black lines that looked like they were moving. It rocked. // 10
Overall Impression: The show was at the Oakland Arena in Oakland, CA, USA. The openers were Hella, who were okay, and The Mars Volta, who absolutley rocked. They played Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus, L'Via L'Viaquez, The Widow, and A Drunkship of Lanterns. I was surprised that they didn't play Televators though. I loved everything about the show, except for the fact that SOAD didn't play Old School Hollywood, and the Mars Volta didn't play televators. The ticket cost $42.80, and the show was worth way more than that. The most unforgettable moments were Lost in Hollywood, Chop Suey, Mr. Jack, Bounce, and Violent Pornography. I will without a doubt go to their next gig. Everyone should definetly see this band live. // 10