Australia (Brisbane), October 28, 2005 Review

Perfomance: 8
 4.2
 8.3
review (1) 2 comments vote for this concert:
Australia (Brisbane), October 28, 2005 Reviewed by: roo6339, on november 07, 2005

Sound: Where to begin? The sound was ok. Nothing great. As many have said about Taste Of Chaos, the vocals got quite drowned out by the guitars. This was especially obvious when Bert from The Used sang The End Of Heartached with Killswitch Engage, but he may as well have not been there considering none of us could hear him anyway. The opening band was a local band called The Scare and, to be blunt, they were pretty terrible. The singer just screamed, but not in the good way some bands can do. It's bands like them that make parents think all rock music is noise. I'd agree if they were all like The Scare. Rise Against were up next (after another local band on the second stage that aren't even worth commenting on) and they were pretty damn good. I'm very impressed. The singer was spot on, the guitars were perfect. Them and Killswitch had the best sound of the night. Next up was Story Of The Year. I don't really know a lot of there songs, but they sounded great. I couldn't help but get involved in the mosh for them. Funeral Of A Friend followed them. They weren't anything great. Sound was OK, but nothing about it was memorable. Killswitch though wow! They totally blew me away. Their sound was just spot on. Perfect blend of crunching guitars with deep growls. Their singer is just incredible. One of their guitarists had just had back surgery and was unable to make the Australian tour, but it was hardly noticeable. Just great. The Used were the headlining act. I have one thing to say and that is BARF! The really annoying thing about The Used is that they sound great... when they actually play the damn songs! What we ended up with was a whole lotta talking and a whole lotta stupid dragged out interludes that were pretty well the same chord picked over and over again. Really disappointing. // 8

Perfomance: I'll only list the headlining acts. Rise Against were just great. Out of all the headliners they were no doubt the least known. This didn't stop them from putting on a great show though. They opened with Life Less Frightening and closed with Give It All. Great way to open and close their set. They have been confirmed for next year and I'm definitely interested in going just to see them again. Story Of The Year also put on an impressive performance. Like I said above, I don't really know many Story Of The Year songs, so it was harder for me to really get into it, but their performance just plain sucked me in and I couldn't help myself. At one point the lead singer was crowd surfing whilst screaming. Doesn't sound that great, but the stage is quite a distance from the front barrier. I was slightly shocked when they didn't play Anthem Of Our Dying Day, but hey, who's complaining? Funeral For A Friend were a bit tame after Story Of The Year. They still put on a good show, but they just didn't get me sucked in like Story Of The Year. Killswitch Engage. I would go just to see these guys again. They put on one incredible show! Highlight of the night. They opened with Inhale playing through the speakers before they got onto the stage. Then they picked up their guitars and begin A Bid Farewell. It was nuts! Perfect performance. They played a good mixture of songs from The End Of Heartache such as A Bid Farewell, Take This Oath (personal favourite), The End Of Heartache (feat. Bert from The Used), and Rose Of Sharyn (what they closed with). The only one I remember from their old album was Fixation On The Darkness which was also great. They were just great. If they come near you, go see them! After Killswitch, The Used were just terrible. To put it in Aussie terms, Bert is a tosser. He is the most arrogant waste of space loser that I have ever watched perform. I'd heard about him being shoed at the Adelaide show, and after 10 minutes I was considering doing the same. He talked non-stop their whole set. At one stage a person just in front of me in the mosh pit started chanting "Kill-switch! Kill-switch!" to which Bert replied "You're a f--king asshole! I want you to scream out "I'm a f--king asshole" so everyone can hear you say it!" he dragged this little rant on for about 5 minutes. Just shut up and play the damn song! They opened with Take It Away. The other songs they played were Listening, All That I've Got, I Caught Fire, Say Days Ago, A Box Of Sharp Objects, The Taste Of Ink and they encored with Maybe Memories. Overall performance is an 8, because of Killswitch and Rise Against's amazing displays and The Used's terrible one. // 8

Overall Impression: This concert was held in Brisbane, Australia at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre on the 28th of October. This was my birthday, and it was a damn good day. Highlights of the night were Killswitch Engage and Rise Against and lowlight was The Used. It's a terrible shame that they closed. Tickets were $AU65 for front-mosh tickets and seating. I was in front-mosh (bought my tickets within 3 minutes and they sold out within 10). The whole night was pretty much straight forward, no stand out moments besides the two bands mentioned above. Next year, Deftones are headlining and Rise Against are confirmed. I will definitely be going. // 9

More Taste Of Chaos reviews rating latest review