UK (Birmingham), January 1, 2006 Review

9.9
 9.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this concert:
UK (Birmingham), January 1, 2006 Reviewed by: ahmyfingers, on january 03, 2006

Sound: This guy I saw at a music night on new years day. I had performed before him and he was the last act of the day. He steps up to the stage, sits down, thanks every person who had played before him. Then he said "Now for one of my songs, called Fiddled Fingers" and off he went. This guy plays an acoustic guitar amazingly. The music was Celtic blues. Yeah I thought what the hell is that. This guy is the most amazing guitar player I have ever seen. After seeing his fingers move you don't care what type ofmusic it is. He writes it, he plays it, it's good enough for me. He sounds like The Pogues on speed with acoustic guitars and leprachorns running up and down the fretboard. One guy and a acoustic guitar. He has three albums which aer worth a look (or listen), theese are Inspirations, Stages, Earthly Elements. // 10

Perfomance: He was the last person to play and put all the others to shame. He was that good. He played three or four songs, the drink was flowing at this point so I can only remember the names of three of them. He played 'Fiddle Fingers' off his album 'Earthly Elements' that I only guess is named after the way the song sounds like a violin is being played over the top of his guitar. The second song he played (I think) was 'Celtic Medley' off his album 'Inspirations' and this was a more celtic song where he played moving a capo at the same time until throwing it off in a 'Finger Blistering' finale towards the end of the song. The final song I remember him playing was an arangment of the popular Led Zeppelin song 'Kashmir' which is a very original idea. This song had me waiting to hear the main riff from 'Kasmir' which instead of playing all the way through the song is built up to and this song is enjoyable for Led Zeppelin fans. He played a few other songs but theese are the ones I could remember the names of. // 10

Overall Impression: The Chaos Acoustic Club, at The Old Mosely Arms, West Midlands, Birmingham, England. The other people who played where the unsigned Coyote And Prarie Wolf Weevil. 1st January, 2006. It is free entry and the venue is quite small and it was rare for this guy to play such a small venue but a treat for all that were lucky enough to see him. If I see he is playing anywhere I will go and see him, this is one of the best gigs I have been to and I felt privilaged to be on the same setlist after seeing him play. // 9

Comments