Live at the Blue Note, Columbia, Missouri, USA, May 24, 2014 Review

artist: theory of a deadman date: 08/14/2014 category: live concerts
theory of a deadman: Live at the Blue Note, Columbia, Missouri, USA, May 24, 2014
 Perfomance: 8
 7.6
 7.7
 7.5
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
Live at the Blue Note, Columbia, Missouri, USA, May 24, 2014 Reviewed by: kenziethomas13, on august 14, 2014

Sound: I saw Theory of a Deadman for the first time May 24, 2014 in Columbia, Missouri at the Blue Note. Lead singer, Tyler Conolly, was sick, so his vocals weren't on point, but he still performed very well. The Blue Note always makes the concert way louder than they should be, plus their sound system isn't very good, so for most of the show you could hear the drums and back up vocals, but not the lead or there would be too much bass, and you couldn't hear the guitar. It was all over the place sound wise. I think that if I were to have seen them somewhere else, the outcome would've been different. I plan on seeing Theory of a Deadman again if they come back in town or somewhere else in Missouri. // 6

Perfomance: Theory of a Deadman has probably been one of my favorite shows so far. The audience was mostly people over the age of 25, but the crowd was into it and everyone knew all the words to the songs. The back drop was the "Scars and Souvenirs" album cover, which was cool, but I don't understand why they didn't use the "SaVages" album cover to help promote that since it would be released in a couple months.

They played a total of 14 songs from various albums and covered an Alice in Chains song.

1. "So Happy" - This was the opening song, a great way to pump up the crowd.
2. "Lowlife" - Everyone knows "Lowlife," and it sounded just like it does on the radio.
3. "B-tch Came Back" - I never really liked this song, both live and recorded.
4. "All or Nothing" - Tyler pointed to some girl in the crowd and said that this was going to be their wedding song.
5. "Savages" - One of the new songs off of "SaVages." It features Alice Cooper on the album. I hadn't heard the song yet, but they played it well live.
6. "Hurricane" - There were cool sound effects of the ocean before this song and the lights were all dark blue, they did the same thing with "Drown."
7. "Got Me Wrong" (Alice in Chains cover).
8. "Gentleman" - Tyler played both "Got Me Wrong" and "Gentleman" on acoustic guitar. I wish they would've played a couple more acoustic songs, and that they didn't sing the cover song. It wasn't a bad performance, it's just that if I wanted to hear Alice in Chains I would've gone to see them or popped one of their albums into my CD player.
9. "Better Off" - During this song the crowd chanted "Better Off!" a bunch of times and everyone through their fists in the air.
10. "Drown" - They released "Drown" as a single in early May, I believe. At the show was my first time hearing it. I like the song a lot better live, than on the album.
11. "Not Meant to Be" - After playing a track off of "Gasoline" and "SaVages," they went back to playing some songs off of "Scars and Souvenirs." "Not Meant to Be" is like everyone's favorite.
12. "Hate My Life" - Everyone gets excited to this song, and I don't blame them. Everyone can some how related to "Hate My Life" and it's just so catchy.
13. "Santa Monica" - By this point of the show, Tyler's voice was getting shaky and starting to wear out, the whole band still pulled off a great performance. I love the drummer's backing vocals, I can't imagine trying to sing and play drums, although many drummers to so, this guy just had really good vocals.
14. "Bad Girlfriend" - It wouldn't be a TOADM show without "Bad Girlfriend." They played this as the last song, there wasn't an encore or anything, but this was a great song to end on and probably the best of the show. // 8

Overall Impression: I saw Theory of a Deadman play May 24, 2014 in Columbia, MO at the Blue Note. Cilver and WILSON opened for them. I didn't get to the show in time to see Cilver, but WILSON was really great. I'd never heard of either of the bands prior to the show, but I'm really glad I got to see WILSON. They don't really sound like Theory of a Deadman, they had a more metalcore vibe. After the show, they were out in the lobby, so I got to talk with them for a while. They were really nice guys.

I loved that Theory of a Deadman sang a variety of songs, I've been to some shows where bands only played songs off their two most recent albums, and these guys touched base on every album, so I appreciated that. There was also a fairly small crowd, maybe three or four hundred people, so it was easy to move around and be up front. There wasn't really a whole lot to complain about, other than the sound quality, but the bands couldn't help that, that's just the way it is for any show at the Blue Note. The tickets were inexpensive, $16 a piece plus $2 charge for minors at the door. The show was definitely worth the money. I caught one of Tyler's picks at the beginning of the show, so that was pretty cool. He was tossing out a lot of them. I would for sure go see Theory of a Deadman again, they've been here three times now, I believe, and I'm glad I finally had the chance to see them. They put on a great show, and spend time afterwards meeting with the fans. // 9

More Theory Of A Deadman reviews rating latest review