UK (Liverpool), April 15, 2007 Review

artist: trivium date: 06/25/2007 category: live concerts
trivium: UK (Liverpool), April 15, 2007
The atmosphere was absolutely electric. It was perfect.
 Perfomance: 10
 8.2
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this concert:
UK (Liverpool), April 15, 2007 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 25, 2007

Sound: Following this stellar performance, I have a new found respect for Matt Heafy. He may still be in his early 20's but he is a professional, developed and seasoned frontman. He knows how to handle the crowd, and his Hetfield-esque roar is the stuff that dreams are made of, each note sung to perfection exactly how they are on record. Matt throughout the show was switching between his custom Dean Razorback (white with gold pinstripes, with newly installed EMG pick ups), a Black Dean ML (I forget the model), a Dean Razorback rust and a standard black Dean Razorback V. Corey was using Razorback V's for the shows entirity, switching between his standard Red design with the Trivium logo inbetween the bridge and neck pickup, the new for 2007 metallic design, the skull Razorback V design and if I recall correctly the explosion design too. Paolo frequently alternated between a BC Rich 5 string Warlock bass and a BC Rich 5 string Eagle. And Travis was, of course, using his 9 (or is it ten) piece signature DDrum kit. The sound quality was fairly decent throughout, sometimes Coreys leads were very low as far as sound goes, and Matts White Razorback continually made this annoying buzzing noise (personally I blame the EMG's). Overall though, nothing too serious and a pleasurable listen from start to finish. Only flaw as far as how the music was played goes was Travis. He seemed to go in and out of different tempos and sometimes couldn't keep his double kick rhythms up, but the band seemed to go along with it, so there were no complaints. // 8

Perfomance: I was at the very front and as far as I could see along the front row, they were all diehard Trivium fans, singing along to every word. Except their intro tape couldn't even finish before Matt was hit in the face by a toilet roll! Personally I though they were unbelievable, one of the best gigs I've ever been to. 01. Entrance Of The Conflagration - quite an apt opener despite the content of it. It was a perfect intro, got me and my boys circle banging from start to finish. No f--k ups as far as I could see. Monumental. 02. Detonation - followed on quite well from Entrance, but was played quite a fair bit slower than it is on record so was a little boring. Musically it was perfect and it's epic closing section induced everyone in attendance to unite and sing along. 03. Like Light To The Flies - this was quite a surprise on my behalf. I expected another Crusade song, nevermind one of my favourites from Ascendancy. Corey did most of the screaming points which it made it much more enjoyable for me. Felt good to hear some of the old stuff even though it's only about 2 years old. 04. Rain - this was the one song I wanted to hear more than anything. It's savage riffery, hammerhead drumming, pounding bass and ferocious vocals made this one of the sets highlights. 05. To The Rats - 'This is a thrashy one, I wanna see circle pits' says Matt Heafy before launching into this 80's drenched thrash metal masterpiece. And with passion, each fan screams 'Break every bone in your face!' Charming. 06. Unrepentant - This, for me, was another set highlight. I've always loved this song, the Annihilator influence is remarkably evident. Matt's vocals are screaming with passion, and the band deliver a killer performance overall. 07. Requiem - as I'm not a huge Ember to Inferno fan, this kinda bored me. But I still made an effort and circle banged my way through it. Be aware that by this point I was nearly dead. 08. Tread The Floods - this is where I stopped singing along and instead just mimed as screaming made blood rush into my head! This is possibly my favourite song off The Crusade so you can imagine I, along with the other 1500 in attendance, was going crazy. 09. Dying In Your Arms - a nice little tempo bringdown. Sent shivers up me to hear everyone around me singing every word in perfect unition. The boys should be proud of writing such a song. 10. Drowned And Torn Asunder - I almost thought they wouldn't play it, but they did, and I was a very happy boy:) Paolos vocal harmonies were spot on, and what more can I say? This song kicks and the way it was played kicked just as much. 11. Ignition - a bad placement in the set in my opinion, would've been better as an opener. Still, it brought the energy levels soaring back up. A testament to thrash metal. 12. Ember To Inferno - this I was very glad to hear. This has been one of my favourites for a very long time. It was performed a little shoddily but all band members were looking pretty worn out at this point. Matt was drenched in sweat! 13. Anthem (We Are The Fire) - funny song, all round good time. Makes me want to slam a beer. This had a lot of energy and the mid song breakdown brought the crowd together, fists raised high. 14. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - a fast, anthemic performance, the stuff that creates legends. 15. Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr - at this stage, I'm about ready to pass out, and it doesn't help when Matt tells us to jump along! But of course, I'm hanging on the mans every word, so I do so with pleasure. A grand climax to show. Special moments? When they threw out water at the end. I grabbed the bottle and poured it all over myself! What a relief. But seriously, Matt kept looking me and my best mate in the eye and smiling, we'd had a right little convo with him during the day. All the band are really nice guys. And I got Coreys guitar pick, but gave it to my friend. He's the biggest Trivium fan on earth so I wanted to give it to him. A really good show. A good end to my half term aswell. // 10

Overall Impression: The concert took place in Liverpool, UK at Mountford Hall on the 15th April 2007. Sanctity opened the gig, along with Gojira and Annihilator, all of which were awesome, except Gojira, Who quite frankly just bore me. Everything I love about the show I've already said, and the only flaw for me was Gojira. The tickets were 15 each and had it have cost more, it would've been totally worth it. The most memorable moment, for me anyway, would be intro leading into Entrance. The atmosphere was absolutely electric. It was perfect. They're coming back to the UK and played the M.E.N. Arena in Manchester on November 21st, co headlining with Machine Head and supported by Arch Enemy, Dragonforce and Shadows Fall on a tour labelled 'The Black Crusade'. There is absolutely no way I'm missing that, and neither should you. // 10

More Trivium reviews rating latest review
+ USA (Boise), February 7, 2012 7.7 02/10/2012