UK (Newcastle Upon Tyne), January 15, 2005 Review

artist: velvet revolver date: 01/19/2005 category: live concerts
velvet revolver: UK (Newcastle Upon Tyne), January 15, 2005
The audience hugely enjoyed the show. There was chanting, Maxican waves, mosh pits and, for the slow songs, the gentle waving of a sea of lighters. In general they were absolutely fantastic!
 Perfomance: 10
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
UK (Newcastle Upon Tyne), January 15, 2005 Reviewed by: MaxLees666, on january 19, 2005

Sound: Who ever said Scott Weiland can't sing live? Because whoever it was can go to hell. He is an absolutely amazing singer, and after I heard HIM live on Saturday he is now definitely my all time favourite singer. He certainly has more powerful vocals than Axl Rose, Who, let's be fair to HIM, sucks. Slash and Dave Kushner chose an excellent range of guitars to use. Dave used his gorgeous custom Les Pauls, one black, one white, and one a delicious bluey-green colour. Slash used, along with his usual assortment of Gibson Les Pauls, a red BC Rich Mockingbird, and a black BC Rich Bich. As always, he managed to get excellent tone out of these guitars. It was a bit loud, so some of the time the lyrics were really hard to hear, but I still think the quality deserves more than a 4. // 10

Perfomance: The audience hugely enjoyed the show. There was chanting, Maxican waves, mosh pits and, for the slow songs, the gentle waving of a sea of lighters. As soon as the lights went out and "Hello, Newcastle!" was heard, the crowd went mad. As predicted, there was a huge roar of screaming as Slash approached the microphone and said, "Hello, ladies." I myself was deafened by the high pitched screams of teenage girls. But the one thing I thought really got the crowd going was near the end. The band took a few short breaks towards the end of the show, and after the second break, the first member to appear back on stage was the amazing drummer, Matt Sorum. He sat down at his drum kit, and produced a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale and waved it infront of one of the cameras that sent an image to two huge screens either side of the stage. This really pleased the crowd of rock-hungry geordies. Slash performed to the greatest of his abilities, as is natural for the world's greatest guitar legend, and as did Dave Kushner. All of this was held together by well performed drum patterns riffs and solos for Matt Sorum and bass lines from the amazing Duff McKagan. No slip ups, just over 2 hours of non-stop pure head banging rock. Velvet Revolver also put on an amazing light show with cool light and smoke effects. This made it that little bit more exciting. The first song, 'Sucker Train Blues' was performed excellently and was a perfect warm uo to get the crowd going. They finished the night with 'Slither'. It was slightly worrying at first because when the band left for the first break we thought they were finished. We thought they were going to leave without playing Slither. That would've got the crowd pretty angry! I can't comment on all the songs individually because I don't have their album so I don't know what most of them are called, but in general they were absolutely fantastic! // 10

Overall Impression: This show was in the UK at the Metroradio Arena in Newcastle Upon Tyne on January 15, 2005, and Velvet Revolver were supported by "The Datsuns", Who, althought they were pretty good, were nowhere near as entertaining or talented as the main band. I loved everything about the show. Maybe one thing I could've done without was the long pause between the bands changing, but at least I flet better when the lights went out and on came the band. The tickets were 24 and I can tell you now, I can't think of a better band to spend 24 going to see. They were absolutely mind-blowingly fantastic and it was money well spent. I will never forget this show, probably the best live performance ever. I bought a t-shirt to remind me of the concert, which at 25 was slightly expensive but at the tme I couldn't care less because I was about to see Velvet Revolver! I would definitely like to see another of their concerts, hopefully I'll get a standing ticket instead and get a chance to get into the fun and action of a mosh pit. I've been in one before, and that was fun enough at an even smaller venue, and Metroradio Aren Newcaste isn't that big itself. That was one of the best days of my life so far and I'll never forget that amazing concert. // 10

More Velvet Revolver reviews rating latest review