USA (Amherst), May 3, 2005 Review

artist: velvet revolver date: 05/21/2005 category: live concerts
velvet revolver: USA (Amherst), May 3, 2005
The performance was top notch. The fans were screaming the words to damn near every song, the crowd was really into it.
 Perfomance: 10
 4.7
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this concert:
USA (Amherst), May 3, 2005 Reviewed by: sv1684, on may 21, 2005

Sound: The sound was pretty good. I was about 6-7 rows back from the front of the stage under a wall of subwoofers, so Scott's vocals were unclear at times, but not too bad. These guys play loud, and I mean loud! Everything was still very audible though, from Matt's drums, Slash's ungodly guitar work, Dave's rythm, Duff's bass, and Scott's vocals (bullhorn included). I was pretty impressed by it overall. Slash has only expanded his playing, and Scott's voice is pretty much the same as it was 10 years ago from what I can tell. Sound gets a 4 because of the sometimes unclear vocals from the spot I was standing at. // 8

Perfomance: The performance was top notch, couldn't ask for more! The fans were screaming the words to damn near every song, the crowd was really into it. Now for some songs they played (in no particular order, and not all of them, just the ones that stood out to me: 01. Sucker Train Blues - perfect! Sounded just like the album recording and was the opening song. The crowd wen't nuts right after the song when Scott said "We are Velvet Revolver and we play motherf--kin' rock n' roll!" 02. Superhuman - if you listen to the lyrics in this song and know what message Scott is trying to convey through his lyrics, it is one of their best songs by far. A+ performance 03. Sex Type Thing - obviously they play some old STP songs at their shows, which is a plus. Half way thru the song, Scott left the stage and headed to the stands with the bullhorn. When he got up there and the spotlight was on him, he started egging the crowd on with the lyric "Here I come, I come, I come, I come" which the crowd screamed at the top of their lungs and repeated it for a good 5-10 minutes! One of STP's best songs and one of the best of the night! 04. You Got No Right - I'd heard that they hardly play this song at some of their shows, but I was glad they played it at this one! One of the best and one of my favorites off their album. Slash busted out his 12 string axe for this one! 05. Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd cover) - needless to say, the crowd went insane when they started playing this right after You Got No Right, with Slash still weilding his 12 string! The lighters went up and stayed up on this one kudos to VR for playing one of Pink Floyd's best songs and sounding damn good. 06. Fall To Pieces - another great song from "Contraband." Scott really poured it all out in this one, and so did Slash. I noticed about 3/4 of the way thru the solo that he changed it up and extended it for about a minute! Always great to see a guitarist try different things live with their songs, incrdible performance. 07. It's So Easy - right before the started playing, Slash went off stage and put the vest on and grabbed his legendary top-hat off his cabinets! Quite honestly, I thought Scott's vocals were better than Axl's when singing this song! The mosh pit kicked up a notch when this one came on as the rest of the crowd sang out loud word for word (myself included). 08. Crackerman - my second favorite STP song ever! As you can imagine, the crowd went insane on this one, too! Slash also added a bit to the original solo it seemed like much longer than the original! 09. Set Me Free - lots of energy in this song that got the crowed pretty pumped up and rowdy! And in my opinion, some of Slash's best guitar work with VR! Nasty solo! This is getting long, so I'll finish it up with what I thought was the highlight of the night. I'm a guitar player, and Slash has been my favorite since I was about 11 years old. This was the main reason I had to get floor tickets, to see my guitar hero! 10. Don't remember quite when he did this, probably 1/2 way or 3/4 of the way thru their 2 1/2 - 3 hour set. I don't remember after what song they played that Slash went ape s--t on his Les Paul! No kidding, his guitar seemed to be taunting the crowd for a good 15-20 minutes while he tore into it! The best part of the show, the legend himself doing his own thing and going all out right off the top of his head on his axe! I glanced from time to time at the screen on my side (to the right of the stage) where the camera was on his fingers, the guy is just flat out incredible with his intrument!Kudos to Slash, rock on brother! Another cool thing was during the set-up of the VR set and sound check was the camera guy at the front of the crowd. I know they are coming out with a DVD, hopefully some of this footage will be on it! Overall, these guys flat out kick ass. It's kind of sad to see all these bands nowadays that can't put on that great of a show, yet you have these guys who are pushing their upper 30's and some in their 40's putting the same energy and love for the music and their fans into their performance. My only real complaint is that they didn't play Loving The Alien (sometimes) my favorite song off of their album. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, these guys aren't going anywhere anytime soon, 15+ years later they still put on a hell of a show!! Definately one of the best concerts I have ever been to and well worth the ticket price of $40 (including convenience fee's from ticketmaster, email to me, etc). I would without a doubt go see them again! Slash's 15-20 minute solo was the best part of the show without question. The put 100% into every song they played that night! One of the best new rock bands out there right now! Can't wait till I see them again! // 10

More Velvet Revolver reviews rating latest review