USA (Des Moines), January 28, 2008 Review

artist: velvet revolver date: 01/30/2008 category: live concerts
velvet revolver: USA (Des Moines), January 28, 2008
 Perfomance: 10
review (1) 1 comment vote for this concert:
USA (Des Moines), January 28, 2008 Reviewed by: Shredder Guitar, on january 30, 2008

Sound: The sound of this show was amazing. It was in a rather small venue called the Val Air Ballroom in Des Moines, Iowa. Scott's vocals were just loud to be heard over the other band members. Slash, of course, switched guitars almost every song while Duff and Dave stuck with the same instruments for long stretches of time. The guitar tone was completely crushing during songs like Slither and She Builds Quick Machines. // 9

Perfomance: I was in the front row, so naturally my ear drums got destroyed. They were almost an hour late, which kind of pissed me off, but nobody's perfect, right? They started playing a song that I didn't quite recognize, Scott was offstage. Duff appeared and abruptly told us, "Alright! we're gonna play you some f--kin' rock 'n' roll!" And then everything was off. Here's a few songs I remember: Let It Roll - very energetic, when I first heard Libertad I had a feeling that they would open with this. Superhuman - Slash's tone during this song was incredible, and Scott vocals sounded even better than the studio (Slash improvised a solo after Superhuman). Fall To Pieces - this had the crowd screaming as Scott said "This is a song that just comes together from one simple guitar riff." And then Slash started that dreamy opening part and the crowd went crazy. She Builds Quick Machines - this song started, and oh my god, I had no idea what the crowd had become. A guy close to me puked all over my shoes and was thrown to the front and taken out by security. Something funny during this song was that I saw a ton of girls flashing the stage. Mr. Brownstone - an amazing performance. It felt so great to just rock out to this song and see them all on stage doing what they do best. The Last Fight - this song calmed everyone down, and the intro was filled with acclaim from the audience. Wish You Were Here - they nailed this song perfectly, and did Pink Floyd the respect they deserve. Scott did the usual bit of letting the crowd sing the last chorus a few times, it was awesome. Suckertrain Blues - absolutely amazing, but not one of my favorite songs. It's So Easy - they brought out some classic GN'R on this one, and I believe it's safe to say Scott sang it better than Axl himself. Patience - another GN'R song. Slash used a doubleneck guitar with an acoustic neck for the top and an electric for the bottom. Sex Type Thing - an amazing STP song. the crowd sang a lot of this one. They played another STP song but I couldnt remember the name. After this, they closed with the amazing song, Slither. Right after the intro, during the pause before all hell breaks loose, the lights shut off and the venue erupted in screams and cheers. That world famous riff brought the crowd into overdrive and had everyone going insane. I'm sure there were more songs, but those were the most memorable. // 10

Overall Impression: It was in the Val Air Ballroom in Des Moines Iowa on January 28th, 2007. They didn't have an opening band, and iwas grateful, because they were kind of late and we had to listen to some mix CD that seemed to have 30 AC/DC songs on it. The tickets were around $35, which I can't complain with, because I finally got to see my favorite band in the flesh. The most unfortgettable moments of the show had to be when a lot of girls flashed the stage, and when the guy puked on me. Also, at the end, the band threw off all the stuff they didn't drink and someone in the crowd got hit with a Gatorade bottle. Slash also kept accidentally spitting out his cigs and was, I swear, so intently playing that he actually drooled on the stage. I will definately be going to any of these guys shows in the future. // 10

More Velvet Revolver reviews rating latest review