USA (Mountain View), July 1, 2007 Review

4.7
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this concert:
USA (Mountain View), July 1, 2007 Reviewed by: im not mental, on july 05, 2007

Sound: Well, it's that time of year again. The sound this year was spot on, except for one part where the connection for pepper's guitar died, and in my opinion Claudio Sanchez's (Coheed And Cambria) guitar was way too low. You could barely hear his solo parts on Welcome Home. Other than that the sound was absolutely perfect. // 8

Perfomance: With a plethora of bands to choose from, it's pretty obvious that the audience had a great time. The bands I saw were: Pepper - I'm really glad I saw them because they are really good. Like I said, at one point the guitar totally failed, but they just said, "f--k it, we don't need guitar on this song!" and continued playing using only vocals, bass, and drums. I got to meet them afterwards and they are really cool guys. I felt really guilty that I left their set a few minutes early to get a decent spot for. Killswitch Engage - I was glad to see them here because I missed them on the No Fear Tour with Chimaira and Dragonforce in the spring (it was sold out). As soon as "A Bid Farewell" started up, mosh and circle pits erupted and crowd surfers started flying through the air. As expected, Adam showed he had the best sense of humor because he was wearing a tank top and daisy duke shorts, and he had a drawing of a penis taped on his guitar. He even dedicated "My Curse" to "all the statutory cunt out there." I got to meet them later in the day and they autographed my copy of The End of Heartache. Tiger Army - I personally had never really heard any of their stuff before, but my friend really wanted to see them because he missed them at Live 105's BFD a few weeks ago, so we went. I'm glad we did because they were really good. The songs were really catchy and the crowd had a really good time. Thanks to this performance I am definitely going to get into them more. The Vandals - I had to watch them from a distance because I was waiting in line to meet Killswitch Engage, but they put on a great show and the audience looked like they were having an awesome time. It was also surprising that they played "Oi to the World" (Christmas in July, I suppose? ) I only wish I could've been closer. The Circle Jerks - I had no idea they were even going to play, but I'm so glad they did. The first thing I thought when they came on stage was, "Man, these guys are OLD!" They are seriously old as dirt. It was funny seeing Keith Morris with his balding dreadlocks going into some cranky-grandpa-sounding rant about how you always have to be honest (except when it involves the IRS) and then blasting into a punk rock classic like "Wild in the Streets." They kicked ass and it made the Mountain View crowd feel special that we were one of the only spots on the tour to see them. Pennywise - They did a really good job. The audience really got into it and everyone was singing along to the chorus for "f--k Authority." At one point in their set Fletcher made Fat Mike from NOFX come out(he was hanging around backstage) and help them out on their cover of a NOFX song (I'm not really that much into them, I'm sorry. I don't know which one it was.) They ended with "Bro Hymn" which they dedicated to anyone Who lost a loved one, their former bassist Jason Thirsk, and Fat Mike's mom. Everyone was chanting along in the chorus to that song. Coheed And Cambria - I was so excited to see them again. I knew that it wouldn't be as good as when I saw them on their headling tour back in 2005, but they still did a great job and this time I was pretty close to the band instead of in the fourth-to-last row. They played "Welcome Home," "The Suffering," a new song from their upcoming album, "Everything Evil," "A Favor House Atlantic," and they finished with "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3". Their new drummer Chris Pennie proved himself to be a worthy replacement for Joshua Eppard, Who left the band last winter. He even threw one of his drumsticks into the crowd and the guy Who was right next to me caught it (I tried to snag it too but he was closer.) It was still a good set despite the fact that Claudio's guitar was too low. Bad Religion - I was really excited because I hadn't seen Bad Religion since 2003. They started with the crowd favorite "American Jesus" and progressed to play a few cuts from their upcoming album "New Maps of Hell", some of their older songs, "21st Century Digital Boy (feat. Fat Mike from NOFX)," "Los Angeles is Burning," and they finished with "Sorrow". They definitely did not disappoint and left everyone happy as they closed up the night. The only scene decorations were Coheed And Cambria (2 keywork banners and a huge backdrop of what I'm hoping is the new album cover) and Killswitch Engage (banners displaying the skull from As Daylight Dies). Everyone else had a run-of-the-mill stage. // 10

Overall Impression: The show took place on July 1, 2007. It was at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA, USA. This was definitely a different setting from the last few years (it was at Pier 30/32 in San Francisco, they changed it to the Amphitheater this year because it was the same day as a Giants game and the city makes a shitload of money using the pier as a parking lot for AT&T Park.) It was good in the fact that the stages were laid out better, but at the pier you could take mass transit instead of driving and paying a ridiculous amount for parking. Plus the pier was out on the water so the weather was always a perfect 70-something degrees fahrenheit (hopefully next year they can bring the best of both worlds and move it down to the McCovey Cove parking lot.) The ticket was $30 and I got so much more than my money's worth. I have been to every Warped Tour since 2005 and so far this year has been my favorite. Unforgettable moments were: crowd surfing to Bad Religion, Coheed And Cambria, and Killswitch Engage, Killswitch's "Fixation on the Darkness," Coheed's "IKSOSE:3", Pennywise's "f--k Authority," Bad Religion's entire set, and meeting Pepper and Killswitch Engage. Warped Tour is always a good time, so you can believe I'll go again next year. // 10

More Warped Tour reviews rating latest review