Live at DTE Energy Music Theater, Clarkston, MI, July 24, 2013 Review

artist: whitesnake date: 01/20/2014 category: live concerts
whitesnake: Live at DTE Energy Music Theater, Clarkston, MI, July 24, 2013
I loved how the band was at full power and gave the fans a show they wanted a great setlist played with amazing talent. David Coverdale is sounding amazing still after 40 years and the rest of the band is one of the best lineups in Whitesnake history.
 Perfomance: 10
 8.5
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
Live at DTE Energy Music Theater, Clarkston, MI, July 24, 2013 Reviewed by: travislawler93, on january 20, 2014

Sound: Over this past summer I got the chance to check out Whitesnake in concert on their "Year of the Snake" US run in Detroit. At the time I was 19 and it was my first time seeing the band. Being a huge fan since I was little I knew that I'd be getting a kick a-s hard rock show and that's what I got. Singer David Coverdale was celebrating his 40 years in the business and 35 years of Whitesnake on this tour and it's clear he's lost nothing with his singing. DC was on fire that night and sounding amazing. No matter the style of song whether it be a ballad or their heavier material he sang at 110% the whole. If you haven't since Whitesnake since the '90s live the band is sounding the best it has since '87 in my opinion. Guitarists Reb Beach (Winger) and Doug Aldrich (Lion, Hurricane) have brought both insane talent and energy to the band. If John Sykes would've had another guitarist along side him during his Whitesnake days in the '80s the guitar team of Beach and Aldrich is what you would've had. The band's rhythm section is absolutely mind blowing as well with the great Tommy Aldridge on drums and Michael Devin on bass. Doesn't matter if it was "Is This Love" or "Still of the Night" the thunder of Alridge's playing was still there proving his is still one of the greatest drummers. // 10

Perfomance: If the start of the show with "Give Me All Your Love" to the end "Still of the Night" the crowd and myself were on their feet having an amazing time. Every song the band played the crowd was singing right along with DC. Their setlist that night was:

01. Give Me All Your Love
02. Ready an' Willing
03. Can You Hear the Wind Blow
04. Don't Break My Heart Again
05. Is This Love
06. Gambler
07. Love Will Set You Free
08. Pistols at Dawn
09. Steal Your Heart Away/Drum Solo by Tommy Aldridge)
10. Forevermore
11. Slide It In / Slow an' Easy
12. Bad Boys/Children of the Night
13. Fool for Your Loving
14. Here I Go Again
15. Still of the Night
16. We Wish You Well

The list was a perfect blend of new and old classic material. When it came time to play "Gambler" Coverdale and the band dedicated the song to drummer Cozy Powell, keyboardist Jon Lord, guiarist Mel Galley who were all former band members who have passed away. // 10

Overall Impression: The concert was at DTE Energy Music Theater (Pineknob) in Clarkston,MI on July 24th, 2013. Geoff Tate's Queensryche opened but I only caught the last two songs of the set. I loved how the band was at full power and gave the fans a show they wanted a great setlist played with amazing talent. David Coverdale is sounding amazing still after 40 years and the rest of the band is one of the best lineups in Whitesnake history. I won my tickets through a radio station but tickets were fairly cheap and definitely worth the money. I definitely will be seeing these guys again when they come back. // 10

Comments