Canada (Toronto), June 16, 2006 Review

artist: Zappa Plays Zappa date: 06/19/2006 category: live concerts
Zappa Plays Zappa: Canada (Toronto), June 16, 2006
The tones were excellent, instruments distinguished, simply put it was amazing.
 Perfomance: 10
 9.5
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 7 comments vote for this concert:
Canada (Toronto), June 16, 2006 Reviewed by: tanman, on june 19, 2006

Sound: This concert was a phenomenal listening experience, thanks in no small part to the venue. It was my first trip to the Hummingbird Centre and I was very pleased. The tones were excellent, instruments distinguished, simply put it was amazing. Steve Vai was too quiet during his first song but that was fixed immediately. Perhaps most remarkable of all was the overall volume. At the end of the night, my head didn't hurt, my ears weren't ringing, everything was set just right. This was easily the best sounding concert I've ever been to. // 9

Perfomance: After the first song, one audience member near me summed it up quite nicely by shouting, "Not bad, kid!" Lightly put, Dweezil can play his ass off. Not only that, but I was convinced I was listening to a recorded track of Frank singing when it was really the drummer. I don't know how someone can sound so much like him. As the show progressed, it only got better. Everyone had at least one solo, and they were all phenomenal. I've seen Yes, Dream Theater, the Trans Siberian Orchestra, Megadeth and several other talented-beyond-words bands, but none of them could put on a show like a Zappa show. Seeing (and of course hearing) three guitars, a bass, a keyboard, a xylophone and a sax harmonizing will be something I never forget. I really can't say enough about how amazing every person on stage was. The singing was replicated with 100% authenticity, as was the musicianship. // 10

Overall Impression: When I was younger (before I heard of Zappa) I wondered what the outcome would be if you included some unconventional instruments to a rock band. It helps to have the most accomplished composer at the helm, but the end result is absolutely beautiful and totally inspiring in every sense of the word. I consider myself extrememly fortunate to have been able to see a live performance of Zappa music, especially one so perfectly executed. As a band, I would say the only performance I've seen that would compare based on Precision would be Dream Theater's rendition of Jacob's Ladder in March at Massey Hall. I was only nine when Frank died, but I would be willing to bet he would be quite proud. Fans owe Dweezil and company a debt of gratitude for bringing Frank's work to a new generation. Here's to another tour! // 10

Comments