NYXL Electric Strings Review

manufacturer: D'Addario date: 10/08/2015 category: Others
D'Addario: NYXL Electric Strings
D'Addario's NYXL strings are their new premium guitar strings, which D'Addario claims result in better bending, tuning stability and higher output.
 Features: 9.5
 Ease of Use: 9.5
reviews (4) pictures (3) 13 comments vote for this gear:
NYXL Electric Strings Featured review by: UG Team, on july 21, 2014

Features: Made in the USA (specifically, Farmingdale, NY), D'Addario's NYXL strings make some pretty bold claims. They are constructed out of D'Addario's "exclusive high carbon steel alloy," which results in all kinds of positive side effects. The wound strings themselves are more magnetic than other strings because of the nature of the alloy used by D'Addario, which results in higher output. The wound strings also (EAD) have emphasized mid-range frequencies - which also means more crunch. Also, because of the nature of the plain steel and core alloy these strings are made of, they are more bend-y and less likely to break with extreme bends or whammy maneuvers. According to D'Addario, the NYXL strings provide 131% more tuning stability, which they have tested using tremolo maneuvers - so these are definitely the strings for Floyd Rose-equipped guitars. The strings are sold in corrosion resistant packaging, which is also "environmentally friendly" with 75% less packaging than the industry standard. // 9

Sound: I got two sets of these bad boys; a 9/42 set and a 10/46 set. I put the 9/42 set on a super-strat made from spare parts, essentially, because it is equipped with a Floyd Rose and has a locking nut. The 10/46 set I placed on my string thru Carvin DC145. This was about 3 weeks ago, and since then I've tried to really put the strings through their paces. To really hear what they're doing I did a before/after comparison with the Carvin - I set my amp up and recorded myself noodling around before putting on the new strings, then after breaking in the NYXL strings for a few hours I recorded the same basic noodling with the D'Addario strings. Yes, the output is a little higher and there is a very nice mid-range of frequencies slightly emphasized. The biggest difference is it seems to carve out its place in the mix better than other strings. As another interesting note, there seems to be significantly less string noise when I slide. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Essentially, I took my Floyd-equipped super-strat and started making noise with it, taking breaks to check the tuning and adjusted as needed. Then, I took the Carvin with the 10/46 set on it and got as extreme as my bends ever get. These strings stay in tune at least as good as any other set of strings I've ever used, and according to my whammy abuse, significantly better than the standard set of strings that were previously on that guitar. In addition, the strings stoically took all the abuse I threw at them with string bends and such. These strings are supposed to be "long-lasting," but so far I don't know how long-lasting they are going to be - three weeks in and I don't have anything to complain about. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't last for a good long while, still. // 9

Ease of Use: There isn't any kind of special trick to installing these strings; they are changed out like any other set of guitar strings. I would loosely compare these to the Cobalt strings released by Ernie Ball, and I have to say that I prefer the NYXL's. The ball ends are color-coded to help keep up with which string is which when changing them out. The packaging even includes a little chart showing what the tension on the strings should be with a guitar with a 25.5" scale for each individual string. // 9

Overall Impression: I hear a lot of people talking about whether strings are worth the price difference - and honestly when you're talking about a product that is a few more dollars but improves the performance of your instrument then what is there to think about? Sure, there are a lot of standard cheaper strings that are "satisfactory," but why wouldn't you spend a few more dollars and get a "premium" set of strings? I look at it like this - guitar strings are the cheapest thing you can upgrade to get better performance and tone from your guitar. A "standard" set of strings from some of the most popular brands are essentially a little under 4 dollars, while the NYXL strings are 12 bucks. You can look at that as 3 times more for the NYXL strings, or you can look at it like you are spending 8 bucks for a boost in tone and performance - and especially a huge pay-off if you're using a tremolo bridge. // 8

- Brandon East (c) 2014

NYXL Electric Strings Reviewed by: juliojusti, on october 08, 2015

Features: I got the NYXL after watching their video on how they test them. I got .09 -.42 ones on both my Schecter Omen 6 and Washburn X50 Pro FE. Neither have tremolos. The package is real nice and comes in one of those bags to keeps it nice and protected from outside elements. Ends color coded like all their strings. Was real hesitant about the extra dough, but strings in Panama are way overpriced so I figured why not? I tune to E, or a step down. Maaaaaaayyyybe D when I'm messing around a bit. Ive used .10s as well, and would but them again. Really like the packaging, real elegant and slick. // 10

Sound: I don't know how to explain it, but the strings felt real comfortable right off the bat. I used Ernie Balls for close to 11 years, and never liked D'Addario till these babies. I mostly play metal, rock, or anything aggressive. Use cleans very little. I have a tendency to like brighter sounds, and make ear deafening squeals. Like them to really pop, but also need solid muting. The intro to "I'm the One" by Van Halen, and "Cowboys From Hell" by Pantera are my usual test songs. They delivered the sound I wanted, and most of all, they maintained it. Have played them through stock Schecter pickups, Dimebucker, Invader, Full Shred, '59, and EMG 81/85, always played like a charm.

Sound wise, never really plays strings that I've been in complete awe of. But these crunch and squeal, and thats all I'm looking for. So they get a 9. // 9

Reliability & Durability: 1. I swap my pickups a lot, and don't buy new strings for each swap. So I reuse the strings a lot. Haven't heard much of a difference from that.

2. As far as corrosion, I live in Panama so nothing is corrosion free. I have to really be on top of wiping my strings dry and cleaning them with string cleaner after each time I play. Then I pass lemon oil (the one to clean fretboards with) slightly on all my strings to keep them protected while I'm not playing (only thing that has worked for me in the weather, I'm all ears for suggestions). Plus, they feel slick when I pick up my guitar again.

3. I bend strings a lot. Not just when I'm playing, but cause everyday I turn on my metronome and do a lot of repetitive exercises,many which include repetitive bends. I also get overly excited when I play and really tug on bends.

4. I'm yet to have one snap on me. But like I said above, don't have a tremolo, so I haven't taken them to their limit.

5. I can be a little hand heavy when I mute. I used to pop my low E Earnie Balls all the time. This has yet to happen with NYXL.

6. Muting seems smoother on these. Which is awesome for playing Slayers, but I did notice less of a benefit when I slide my pick, its not as solid. It sound like a pick slide yeah, but not as harsh as I want it sometimes. But hey, how much pick sliding does one really do?

As far as for me, they've been solid strings that maintain their sound with a lot of use. I play 2-4 hours about 5 days a week. // 9

Ease of Use: They are strings... it's not as hard of a difference than when you switch from recessed necks to straight ones, or when volume knobs are close to the bridge pup, or going from a stop tail to tremolo. If you don't feel any ease, its all in your hands. So they're judged by sound and reliability mostly (but not limited to). Harmonics sound just fine. One bonus is they aren't as harsh n the fingers as other strings I've used (not the Earnie Balls). Really don't know what to write here to fill this spot out more. // 10

Overall Impression: I really love these strings. They delivered in harsh weather/humidity conditions where my main strings didn't. They feel comfortable, and have never snapped on me. If they survive me, hell... I'm sure their up for any fight. The only condition I haven't played them with is cold weather. So I got no clue if the cold would affect them. I can only speak for tropical dry and humid weather. But yeah, I'm sticking with them. Ever since I got them I haven't thought of going back to other strings. Pretty damn hooked on them. // 9

More D'Addario reviews rating category latest review
+ EJ15 Phosphor Bronze 8.6 Others 06/29/2015