NYXL Electric Strings Review

manufacturer: D'Addario date: 07/21/2014 category: Others
D'Addario: NYXL Electric Strings
D'Addario's NYXL strings are their new premium guitar strings, which D'Addario claims result in better bending, tuning stability and higher output.
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.3
 7.5
review (1) pictures (3) 11 comments vote for this gear:
NYXL Electric Strings Featured review by: UG Team, on july 21, 2014

Features: Made in the USA (specifically, Farmingdale, NY), D'Addario's NYXL strings make some pretty bold claims. They are constructed out of D'Addario's "exclusive high carbon steel alloy," which results in all kinds of positive side effects. The wound strings themselves are more magnetic than other strings because of the nature of the alloy used by D'Addario, which results in higher output. The wound strings also (EAD) have emphasized mid-range frequencies - which also means more crunch. Also, because of the nature of the plain steel and core alloy these strings are made of, they are more bend-y and less likely to break with extreme bends or whammy maneuvers. According to D'Addario, the NYXL strings provide 131% more tuning stability, which they have tested using tremolo maneuvers - so these are definitely the strings for Floyd Rose-equipped guitars. The strings are sold in corrosion resistant packaging, which is also "environmentally friendly" with 75% less packaging than the industry standard. // 9

Sound: I got two sets of these bad boys; a 9/42 set and a 10/46 set. I put the 9/42 set on a super-strat made from spare parts, essentially, because it is equipped with a Floyd Rose and has a locking nut. The 10/46 set I placed on my string thru Carvin DC145. This was about 3 weeks ago, and since then I've tried to really put the strings through their paces. To really hear what they're doing I did a before/after comparison with the Carvin - I set my amp up and recorded myself noodling around before putting on the new strings, then after breaking in the NYXL strings for a few hours I recorded the same basic noodling with the D'Addario strings. Yes, the output is a little higher and there is a very nice mid-range of frequencies slightly emphasized. The biggest difference is it seems to carve out its place in the mix better than other strings. As another interesting note, there seems to be significantly less string noise when I slide. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Essentially, I took my Floyd-equipped super-strat and started making noise with it, taking breaks to check the tuning and adjusted as needed. Then, I took the Carvin with the 10/46 set on it and got as extreme as my bends ever get. These strings stay in tune at least as good as any other set of strings I've ever used, and according to my whammy abuse, significantly better than the standard set of strings that were previously on that guitar. In addition, the strings stoically took all the abuse I threw at them with string bends and such. These strings are supposed to be "long-lasting," but so far I don't know how long-lasting they are going to be - three weeks in and I don't have anything to complain about. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't last for a good long while, still. // 9

Ease of Use: There isn't any kind of special trick to installing these strings; they are changed out like any other set of guitar strings. I would loosely compare these to the Cobalt strings released by Ernie Ball, and I have to say that I prefer the NYXL's. The ball ends are color-coded to help keep up with which string is which when changing them out. The packaging even includes a little chart showing what the tension on the strings should be with a guitar with a 25.5" scale for each individual string. // 9

Overall Impression: I hear a lot of people talking about whether strings are worth the price difference - and honestly when you're talking about a product that is a few more dollars but improves the performance of your instrument then what is there to think about? Sure, there are a lot of standard cheaper strings that are "satisfactory," but why wouldn't you spend a few more dollars and get a "premium" set of strings? I look at it like this - guitar strings are the cheapest thing you can upgrade to get better performance and tone from your guitar. A "standard" set of strings from some of the most popular brands are essentially a little under 4 dollars, while the NYXL strings are 12 bucks. You can look at that as 3 times more for the NYXL strings, or you can look at it like you are spending 8 bucks for a boost in tone and performance - and especially a huge pay-off if you're using a tremolo bridge. // 8

- Brandon East (c) 2014

More D'Addario reviews rating category latest review
+ NS Micro Universal Tuner 8.6 Others 11/05/2014