Standard Review

manufacturer: Lafleur date: 08/20/2014 category: Others
Lafleur: Standard
Lafleur trumpet is a suitable match for classical and jazz playing. Overall very good sound for a midprice trumpet.
 Ease of Use: 8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Standard Reviewed by: SteveArmourae, on august 20, 2014

Purchased from: Baker Stret

Features: Trumpet! Made in the 1980s in Italy purchased as a replacement to the trumpet I had for 20 years. Standard 3 valve trumpet - seems obvious to say that but I've seen 4 valve trumpets. The finish is in the usual gold colour. Often the trumpets in the silver finish are inferior and only of interest as they are rarer. Trumpets come with a case but the case for this one was inferior than with my earlier and cheaper trumpet. The intended case lifted away from the body of the case whereas my own one was hinged. The worse case had a nice claret red plush cushion whereas my case has a toffee coloured one. // 8

Sound: Overall very good sound for a midprice trumpet. Like most trumpet students I was subjected to the lethally dull folk and hymn tunes when I was learning at 10 years old. It suits that style if I could be bothered listening to what I was playing. Instead I just endured it. It does suit the trumpeters true love which is jazz playing. Surely every trumpeter who has a soul loves to play jazz on the trumpet as its has the perfect and flashy sound as we stand out to do our solos. The sound is determined by the amount of silver in the trumpet and by the weight of the trumpet there is a far amount of silver in the composition. The other factor in the sound is the mouthpiece. A larger mouthpiece is easier to play particularly on lower pitch notes. Smaller or shallower mouthpieces are more demanding but give better tone and easier on playing higher notes. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Trumpets are solid pieces of metal so they withstand any amount of playing. However they are vulnerable to damage if they are dropped. Being thin metal they dent easily. As an instrument it is entirely dependable for playing. Trumpeters have the equivalent of a strap button consisting of a curved metal plate which is used to hold the little finger in place to give greater balanced when the mouthpiece is placed against the lips. As with all trumpets it must be washed out as the tubing is prone to damage from saliva build up. // 8

Ease of Use: Easy to get a good sound as it has a sizable amount of silver in the composition; the grater the proportion of silver, the better the sound and the higher the price, and the greater the weight. The trumpet is not an easy instrument so it takes time to get a good sound the embouchure which is the development of the mouth muscles improves with practice and determines the quality of sound production. I would replace this trumpet with one with more silver content but I do recommend Lafleur if you can find one under £80. // 8

Overall Impression: Lafleur is a suitable match for classical and jazz playing. Mouth piece has a lot to do with playing. A shallower mouthpiece enable higher notes playing suited for Bach and jazz. The teaching of trumpet student consists of folk and hymn songs, and this tuition helps to put you off trumpet or any instrument playing. When I returned to playing my trumpet many years later I concentrated on jazz and classical music. I imagine all trumpet players love playing jazz. I started playing when I was 10 and stopped when I was 10. Sick of folk and hymn tunes. When I returned to playing years later this time teaching myself instead of tuition I made far greater progress playing stuff I wanted to play. // 8

Comments