NS Artist Capo Review

manufacturer: Planet Waves date: 07/25/2014 category: Others
Planet Waves: NS Artist Capo
The NS Artist Capo is essentially the culmination of a lot of good ideas; with easily adjustable tension, a built-in pick holder, and a bracket to attach the NS Micro Tuner.
 Ease of Use: 9
 7.3
 8.6
review (1) pictures (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
NS Artist Capo Featured review by: UG Team, on july 25, 2014

Features: This is a great little capo that resides right where simplicity and function meet. The NS Artist Capo has a micrometer tension adjustment, a built-in pick holder, and includes a bracket to attach the NS Micro Tuner (which is sold separately for approximately 15 bucks). The trigger is a patented design by Planet Waves which only requires 1/3 the force of other designs to operate. The capo is also constructed of lightweight "aircraft-grade" aluminum, which makes the capo feel virtually weightless on my guitar neck. The micrometer tension adjustment allows for a lot of control which is very useful if you're using it with multiple guitars with multiple string gauges. I normally keep my capo clipped onto my headstock when not in use, which has gotten crowded since moving to clip-on tuners, but the bracket for attaching the NS Micro Tuner is a good solution for that. There are reviews of the NS Micro Tuner available here. // 9

Sound: There isn't a lot to say about sound with the NS Artist Capo as it doesn't make any sound in and of itself. The micrometer can be adjusted for pretty much any six string instrument to avoid any type of string buzz or from pulling strings sharp. Essentially, the main pay-offs from this capo is it lets you move it quickly with very little effort, and since the tension is adjustable you can use it for any of your six string acoustic or electric guitars. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The NS Artist Capo is made out of "aircraft-grade" aluminum, so I don't expect any type of problems with the durability of the capo. I've only owned it for about 3 weeks or so, but I've used it a LOT, and I've had absolutely zero problems with it. There was almost no learning curve, even with this being the first capo I've used with this type of tension adjustment. For those of you who like to keep your capo super-tight, you can definitely dial the tension up so it is very intensely tight. I don't personally understand that school of thought, but many of my guitar playing friends prefer capos to be insanely tight (I guess they just feel more secure that the capo isn't going anywhere) but this capo will get you there. // 8

Ease of Use: The specially designed trigger makes the NS Artist Capo super easy to use - moving the capo around just takes a few seconds with little forethought as long as the tension is set up right for that instrument. The tension doesn't have to be adjusted most of the time, as another noteworthy observation, but instead works with the same tension for most instruments. When I did have to tweak the tension it was very minor and very quick. While this capo has a larger profile than some capos I've owned and used, it is still well within an acceptable size range, and can easily fit in the pocket of a gig back or inside a guitar case. // 9

Overall Impression: I use capos fairly frequently - especially as I've begun playing "sing-a-long" with my family and strum whatever popular songs my kids are interested in as part of our quality time. I end up using a capo to change keys pretty frequently to match their vocal ranges. I was using a few different cheaper capos to fill that role, as I had one that worked better for my acoustic guitar and another that worked better for electric, but with the NS Artist Capo's micrometer tension adjuster I can quickly go from the acoustic to the electric with no problems. If I had any problem with the NS Artist Capo it would be that it has a larger profile than some other capos, but that is a tradeoff I'm willing to make. As something else worth mentioning, this capo is essentially designed for six string guitar and doesn't work as well with extended range (7 and 8 string) or some other stringed instruments. As another point of interest, this capo was designed by Ned Steinberger, the designer of Steinberger guitars and basses. // 7

- Brandon East (c) 2014