Soloist: Guitar & Accessory Hanger Review

8.3
 9.6
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
Soloist: Guitar & Accessory Hanger Reviewed by: lambo88, on august 11, 2014

Features: The Soloist: Guitar & Accessory Hanger is a new American-made guitar hanger. The first I've seen to provide more function than a standard wall hanger. The Soloist sports a solid oak triangular base and StringSwing brand padded hanger. The base has 3 slots cut out for organizing up to 15 guitar picks by thickness (thin, medium, thick), also 4 mini shaker/dowel pegs around the edge for attaching guitar straps, clip-on tuners, capos, thumb picks, etc. All hardware necessary for installation were provided with my purchase. Yep, the instructions were in English… and included many pictures for dummies like myself. // 10

Sound: Compared to what I've found at Guitar Center, eBay or Amazon regarding guitar hangers, the Soloist seems to be priced to scale with everyone else. A simple single guitar hanger may run between $12-$15. A more advanced "mechanical" hook (like Hercules or D&H) can run $27-$35. And the decorative GripStudios (hand in wall) hangers, after shipping, can run $50+ from their websites. The Wall-Axe Soloist is normally found for $29.99 (+fast 2-Day Shipping $6.50) But, Wall-Axe offers coupon codes and special deals often. I picked mine up for $24.99. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The provided hardware attached to the Soloist are StringSwing hangers, which are notoriously found in every Guitar Center and most every music store. Also, one of the few brands with rubber padding that is tested "safe" for all neck finishes (especially Gibson necks, who owners have had the most issues with when using certain hanger padding) The Soloist mounts to the stud in your wall with deep deck screws. Very solid, using a rugged black steel plate where the actual hook screws in to. Product came with a 60-day limited warranty and contact information if I had any problems. // 10

Ease of Use: The instructions were well done and included a cut-out paper template for easy drilling. I placed the paper on the wall and made pencil points where I needed to drill.. and boom. I had it up in 20 minutes after opening. My only issue as far as functionality was clipping on my Kyser capo. My capo has lost some of it's tension (because it's old), so it takes a second to clip it on the end of those wooden pegs, but it DOES work. Surprisingly, once mounted against the wall, the picks stay in the slots and do not fall out, which is my favorite feature, along with the strap pegs. Really simple idea and meets my needs. Great purchase. // 9

Overall Impression: This has proven to be very useful for me. I'm notorious for carry picks and straps and capos from guitar case to guitar case and forgetting which one I left each item in. One I got in the habit of always putting my junk in the same place (which took a little while) It's been convenient to just grab and go. I mounted one in my home studio control room, so I wouldn't have to dig around cases when I'm in the middle of a session or inspiration hits. I also get a lot of compliments on it, because it's something most musicians have never seen before. Plus, the straps hang down behind the guitar neck & body (out of sight). So, it looks slender and compact on my wall. // 10

Comments