Flat Pole Vintage Set Alnico (50/52 RW/52) Review

manufacturer: Artec date: 06/05/2014 category: Pickups
Artec: Flat Pole Vintage Set Alnico (50/52 RW/52)
 9.5
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
Flat Pole Vintage Set Alnico (50/52 RW/52) Reviewed by: tmr4891, on june 05, 2014

Purchased from: eyguitarmusic.com

Sound: I bought this pickup looking for a replacement for my Squier's stock staggered pickups. They drop right in, and the installation was very smooth. I was looking for that traditional strat tone and really hoped these would work out. So far I've got to say they certainly have. I've been playing with these for a few months now, and the sound out of the neck pickup is really just awesome. It really doesn't generate much hum at all, to the point where it's essentially non existent. That was a major concern for pickups at this price point, but I'm definitely sticking with these after playing with it for a while now.

Every position is usable and I love the tone I get out of it. It certainly helps that they're using legitimate Alnico magnets, and the more I play with them, the more I like them. Absolutely top notch pickups with true classic strat tone. A must hear to believe. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd consider these every bit as durable as any other pickup and there are no issues with the wiring. They soldered right in place, and have been making great sound since. I don't see any reason for them to all of the sudden have a problem, and I'd definitely use the without a backup. The plastic casing is very much standard issue, and fits right into a standard strat pickguard. I wound up spray painting them gold to match the scheme of the guitar I put them in, which had no effect on the sound quality. These pickups really are just brilliant and I'm amazed I got them for so cheap. // 10

Overall Impression: I am not the type to hand out a 10 in a review unless it really deserves it. I can't point out a single flaw in these pickups. So I really have no choice in this case. I've played guitar for 11 years, and started on electric guitar with shine on you crazy diamond. These give me that tone beautifully. The fact that they're in a Squier Bullet Strat really just adds to it. It's the cheapest guitar I have ever owned, and it's on par with all my other instruments. Writing this review makes me want to go play with them.

If you're worried about the dinky price tag on this set, don't be. This is an absolute steal and they'll hold their own against pickups ten times the price. A lot of the time I have to wrap up a review by saying, "if you've got the cash to get the name brand, get that instead," and I can't say that for these. Considering the quality of these it's just foolish to spend more. Even if you don't like them, they're 20 bucks. Low risk, high reward. So here's to the first ten I've handed out in a review. I've reviewed 8 other items and have pointed out every flaw in great detail. These pickups don't have any. I'll highly recommend these. // 10

More Artec reviews rating category latest review
+ MVH6 Filtertron Humbucker 8.5 Pickups 05/19/2014