Painkiller Review

9.9
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Painkiller Reviewed by: ethan_hanus, on august 23, 2010

Purchased from: www.guitarasylum.com

Sound: The output of this pickup is nuts, it has a 15.3k resistance, so it's a pretty hot pickup, but it's actually one of the least hot contemporary humbucker pickups BKP makes. I've used it with my Valveking for a while, and it gets me some pretty good tones, it's a tad bit bright, so if your using a bright amp, I would stay away from this pickup, but if your looking to level out a dark amp, like a Valveking, or a Mesa, then you'll love this pickup. I've used it on Nick Crow's 8505 VST amp, which is basically a Peavey 6505, and it has the most crushing tone I've ever heard. Best thing about this pickup is that every single note rings out clearly, even under heavy distortion. It has alot of bass response, enough to make EMG's look bad, biggest thing is the huge mid-range this thing has, it'll cut through mixes pretty well. The cleans are ok, ceramic magnet humbuckers have always had meh cleans, so it's no surprise here. But, the cleans are clear, and sound pretty good. This pickup will work in any position, you just have to order it for the position you want. Mine is in the bridge. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems tough as a rock, when I got it, I was very surprised that the bottom was made out of solid Zinc, and all the wiring was shielded with foil, so yeah, I think it'll out last me. Oh yeah, never had any problems with this pickup, and I'm pretty sure Barenuckle backs them with a lifetime guarantee. // 10

Overall Impression: I absolutely love this pickup, it's everything I wanted in a pickup and more. The only thing I hate about it is how bitie and punchy it can be sometimes, especially when you do want the punch. I installed this in my Squier Affinity Strat( Don't be haten) and it's in the bridge. // 9

Painkiller Reviewed by: mastag215, on august 10, 2015

Purchased from: bareknuckle pickups.com

Sound: I'm mostly a hardcore/deathcore player, that also likes to fiddle with rock, and some other things. This pickup is unlike anything else I've ever played. It articulates so well, triplets tear through flesh, broken chords raze villages, and full chords with tons of gain still ring each string. Pinch harmonics are effortless. It's really bright with a clean setting, which my tone knob turns into a very rich, manageable ring. Coil splitting makes the tone of the pickup a mile wide of searing meaty tone. My setup is a Jericho Fusion > Joyo Comp > TC Electronics Dark Matter > Boss NS-2 > Peavey 6505+ 112 60w. The amount of gain this setup can now handle is absolutely ridiculous. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Will this withstand live playing? Absolutely. I got the gold pickup cover and it matches all my gold hardware and looks fantastic. I would definitely not worry about the reliability of this pickup. BKP team are very helpful guys as well. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 11 years. I've played many pickups, the closest match being a SD invader. Passive/active EMGs, DiMarzio Evolution, SD SH-5 Custom, SD Active Blackouts AHB-1, EMG 707s, I've personally used all these and found nothing to come close. If it were stolen/lost, or if I were to get another guitar, I would definitely get another. // 10

More Bare Knuckle Pickups reviews rating category latest review