L-900XL Review

manufacturer: Bill Lawrence USA date: 02/20/2008 category: Pickups
The L-900XL is the exact same pickup as the L-500XL but with an EMG/Lace-style top. Same high performance Dimebag tone with a sleeker, more modern look.
 6.3
 8.7
 3.8
review (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
L-900XL Reviewed by: Harper123, on february 20, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Sound: This pickup sounds great for metal, it has a harsh (in a good way) high-treble sound that will make your palm muting sound incredibly chunky, especially when paired with a warmer pickup in the neck position. I am using it with a Raven RG100 and a Boss MT-2. This is a good bridge pickup, cuts through the mix well. Pinch harmonics fly out of this thing. I would not recommend it as a stand-alone pickup, it is just a little too harsh, but definitely sounds amazing when properly paired. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The pickup seems a little cheaply built, it is supposedly the same as a BLUSA L-500 XL, but with an EMG/Lace type cover on it. I was unsurprised at the cheap plastic because the pickup costs half as much as most others, but sounds twice as good as many of them. It does seem dependable, but I have heard that they go microphonic eventually. Only time will tell, but for now, the sound is exactly what I have been looking for. // 6

Overall Impression: I was really nervous about this pickup, I ordered it before reading deeply into the whole Bill Lawrence "fake" scandal. This pickup was not built by Bill Lawrence of billlawrence.com, and I had read a lot of reviews saying that pickups produced by billlawrenceusa.com were complete trash. I disagree. I swapped out my Gibson burstbucker pro's for these, and I never looked back. I put a L-900R in the neck position, and it just sounds so awesome. Seriously, try them out before badmouthing them. I don't know if they're better or worse than the ones from Bill n' Becky, but I don't care, I am completely satisfied. // 10

More Bill Lawrence USA reviews rating category latest review