Air Norton DP193 Review

9.4
reviews (3) pictures (1) 19 comments vote for this gear:
Air Norton DP193 Reviewed by: NickGiovanni, on august 23, 2010

Purchased from: www.musiciansfriend.com

Sound: To begin? I've got this pup in the neck position in my Ibanez; RG3EXFM1 (see my review of it for more info) and it really sings. I replaced the stock V7 neck pickup with this Air Norton and the tone when from muddy and sub-par, to; as James Hetfield would say, "Oooh Yeah-heah!" The output level is not too loud, when used with my 500k pots. I have not tried it with any other pots, but it's just the right output with a 500k. It has a very warm tone, almost like a jazz clean tone. It's a little on the bassy side of the spectrum, but when your Amp's EQ is adjusted to bring the bass down one or two notches, And it's perfect. When used for clean rythmns and chords, it comes across almost as an Acoustic guitar sound. When some chorus, reverb, and a solo is run through this pup? It sounds like something along the lines of David Gilmour. However, when you put some distortion on this thing? Oh Man, it really packs a punch! It's really crunchy when distorted, and is AWESOME for playing Metal or Hard Rock Ryhtmns. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've beat this pickup to death, between hitting it with my heavy pick attacks, and the everyday wear-and-tear of playing? I'm actually amazed to find that it doesnt have any scratches in it! And the funny thing is? I bought the pickup in WHITE! DiMarzio really makes these pups with good, strong materials and they really can take a beating and sound great no matter what. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the sheer versatility of this pickup. I can play everything from Pink Floyd to Metallica and more, and this pup gives me a great tone for it. When paired with a D-Sonic or a CrunchLab in the bridge? You have the ultimate passive humbucker combo all for an affordable price. As a Neck Pickup, for the price? It simply cannot be beat. And I'm so confident in this pickup? That you can quote me on that! // 9

Air Norton DP193 Reviewed by: andy474x, on june 30, 2011

Sound: This pickup is commonly used in the neck position, however, I put it in the bridge on my PRS SE Custom 22. According to Dimarzio, it was originally designed to be a bridge pickup. I put it in because it has plenty of bass and mids, so my bridge position would be a little more full and less bright. It's classified as medium output, and I would have to agree. It's definitely hotter than a Vintage PAF, but not so HOT that you lose Vintage type tone altogether. If you look on the DiMarzio site, its output is right there with the PAF Pro and PAF Joe, but its eq is reversed, and it has a bass emphasis, rather than treble. Anyways, it really has a nice tone in the bridge, and the output is great for an all around pickup. It gets good sustain, and is just in that sweet spot where it can push something nice and hard if you want it to, but won't overdrive the heck out of everything you plug in to. When split, I have found this pickup to be pretty bright, but in all fairness DiMarzio recommends 250K pots with this pickup and I use 500. Overall, a great bridge pickup if you want to stay in the "hot PAF" and get that tone, but not with an excess of treble. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this in for about a year, and no problems so far, it seems to be made well and hasn't gotten any blemishes or cracks as of yet. Then again I've never had a pickup go out on me. Looks like DiMarzio has a pretty decent 5 year warranty, so between that and being an industry standard, I'm not concerned in the least. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I think this is a very good pickup for the bridge position, despite being overlooked for that purpose. It provides the classic humbucker tone with just enough power to get into more modern territory. Unfortunately, it's a massive pain in the rear to track down this pickup in the correct color and F-spaced, but if you have a helpful store, DiMarzio is great about getting exactly what you need. // 9

Air Norton DP193 Reviewed by: aerosmithfan95, on october 03, 2013

Sound: If you've read my review on the DiMarzio Air Zone, you'll know that I purchased this from a local music store 3 months ago and I believe I paid about $65.00 for it. I have this placed in the neck position of a Kramer Pacer FT-202S project guitar that I got for graduating high school. I'm playing through a MArshall Vintage Modern 2266 with a Boss Compressor, Chorus, Noise Gate, and a Way Huge Green Rhino. As for genres, I play hard rock, blues rock, and the rare blues, pop, and metal. It has a really nice, and warm sound to it. It has nice, clear highs, along with round, and full mids and bottom end. It sounds great on the clean and crunch/overdrive settings. With some heavier overdrive, it sounds well without being muddy. When I use the Green Rhino for solos, this pickup really sings. It has great, almost vocal like, sound that gives it this beautiful tone. The Air Norton is great in the neck position and it pairs up great with the Air Zone that I have in the bridge position. Some people also pair it up with the Tone Zone, and Super Distortion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Is there really anything to say here? Pickups are meant to last awhile. And since it's a DiMarzio, I can trust it from not going microphonic and staying my guitar for years to come. As for using this pickup in my guitar? It'll definitely let my Pacer contend to be my main guitar and the guitar that I'll be using for gigs when I begin to do them regularly. If something ever does happen to my Air Norton, I'll definitely replace it out for another one. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is a great match for the music I play (hard rock, blues rock, blues, and pop). If you play similar genres as I do, I would suggest that you check this out for the neck position of your guitar. I've been playing for 5 years and I just recently began to dwell into DiMarzio's products and I'm definitely impressed with them. Practically every pickup by them that I've tried out or heard has been clear, articulate, and spectacular sounding. If I had to compare this, it would be to a Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup. Personally, I really love the sound of my SD, but I like this DiMarzio just a tad more. Nonetheless, the Jazz is still a great pickup in its own right. // 10

More DiMarzio reviews rating category latest review
+ DP177 True Velvet T Neck 8.9 Pickups 02/05/2014