Air Norton S DP180 Review

8.6
 9.5
reviews (3) pictures (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Air Norton S DP180 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 21, 2009

Sound: This is the single coil size of the DiMarzio Air Norton. It has a lot of output, sustain and an amazing thickness. Everything you want in a neck pickup. I installed it into the neck position of my Ibanez SAS36FM. My amp is a solid state Roland cube30x. I also have the Vox Satchurator for my distortion. The first thing that struck me was the sustain. Damn I can take a note, go on vacation and come back and it would still ring. No but seriously it has some incredible sustain! The sound is warm and thick. But I've installed a push/pull pot so I can split the pickup into a single coil(not that the Air Norton S is in fact a humbucker pickup in a single coil size).As said before the tone is very thick and warm but a little bit unbalanced. If you have some low distortion on and you take a low cord like Eminor the tone will get too muddy, even on a clean setting. But if you instead use the push/pull and make it into a single coil the problem is solved. But I barely play chords with this pickup, instead I crank the gain to maximum and play solos with it. This pickup is used by players like John Petrucci so if you're looking for his sound (which I was) this pickup is the thing to buy. The Air Norton (s) is also popular in the bridge position but I have not tried it in the bridge. And as usual you should never use a humbucker in the middle position. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The pickup seems like it will last. It's a quality pickup! And I have never heard a pickup breaking down by itself so I am not that worried. But I have had some problem with the installation of my DiMarzio Super Distortion so I hope that won't happen on this pickup. // 9

Overall Impression: I love the tone and character of the pickup. Especially the sustain, it's incredible! The only thing I hate, well I should say dislike instead, is the fact that chords are a bit to muddy. But install a push/pull pot and you will be all set! An amazing pickup which will suit any style! // 10

Air Norton S DP180 Reviewed by: SilverSpurs616, on march 23, 2011

Sound: This is a medium-output single-coil SIZED humbucker, and I had this installed in the neck position of my Ibanez SAS36FM shortly after purchase. I'm using it with several amps including the Peavey Vypyr 75, Roland Cube 80 and Vox AC30. The tone of this pickup is best described as warm and very full-sounding, though the higher fretted middle/low string notes aren't the most pleasant and sound thin. The high notes sound utterly fantastic when performing bends and vibrato, and lower notes & chords come out articulate and full. Harmonics and pinches sound with plenty of bite even on low-distortion amp settings! I have this pickup raised until almost touching the strings for a touch more clarity at high speeds. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have never known a pickup to be damaged or stop working in my 4 years of playing, so this is tough to answer. The pickup casing seems very solid and the insides are covered suitably, also I had this professionally installed so I don't expect any problems. // 8

Overall Impression: My favourite feature about this pickup is how great the high notes sound! I'm normally a "fast is better" kind of player, but the tone this pickup provides really makes me appreciate the fantastic vibrato sound. That being said, speedy runs sound clear and articulate so this pickup is ideal for both types of playing. I have this installed in the neck position of my Ibanez SAS36FM as a replacement for the stock single-coil, and it has brought and enormous change in sound and versitality to my instrument // 8

Air Norton S DP180 Reviewed by: mkouta95, on march 25, 2015

Purchased from: Axesrus

Sound: I stuck this pickup in the middle position of an RG style custom build, and I LOVE IT. When I've got the gain on my Peavey Valveking 20 at about 7 and the humbuckers on either side of the Air Norton are getting all fizzy and angry and then I switch to the Air Norton and, bliss, smooooth pure soulful tone, no crazy harmonics springin' outta nowhere. The sustain, as mentioned in other reviews, is incredible, especially considering the pickup is nowhere near high output. Switching to the clean channel, and you get a rather pokerface tone. I'd say the pickup is well balanced; my "proper" humbuckers seem to give more low end, the Air Norton is less harsh, but at the same time, it lacks any distinguishable character (apart from being really tame). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Since when was your pickup breaking the first thing on your mind at a gig? It's a DiMarzio, it'll probably outlast the guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: The Air Norton is that calm composed quiet guy that doesn't need to shout to be heard, and when it speaks, everyone listens. Unless you desperately want a single coil I would certainly recommend it in the middle position for a uniquely tame tone, but I can imagine it making a scene in any position. That being said, don't be expecting any searing lead tones from the thing; after all, it's just a half-sized humbucker.
// 9

More DiMarzio reviews rating category latest review
+ Evolution Bridge DP159 8.8 Pickups 05/27/2015