Air Zone DP192 Review

manufacturer: DiMarzio date: 10/03/2013 category: Pickups
DiMarzio: Air Zone DP192
The DiMarzio Air Zone DP192 is a medium output passive humbucker. It is generally seen as a bridge pickup and is marketed as such by DiMarzio. The pickup cannot give you what other active or high output passive pickups can but the lack of brutality is compensated by its natural sounding, organic tone.
 9.3
 9.5
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Air Zone DP192 Reviewed by: martinbg, on march 14, 2012

Price paid: € 80

Purchased from: thomann

Sound: The DiMarzio Air Zone DP192 is a medium output passive humbucker. It is generally seen as a bridge pickup and is marketed as such by DiMarzio. I've bought this pickup to install it on my Ibanez RGR321EX because the stock pickups were just trash. In the beginning I was leaning towards an active set of pickups like the EMGs but I'm no fan of their sterile sound. The real deal for me were the Bareknuckles WarPigs which can really go head to head with any active pickup and still retain the characteristics of the guitar itself, sacrificing a little output in the process. Sadly I found them too HOT and more importantly - too bassy, something that my naturally bassy RGR321EX couldn't handle very well (bass wood body). This is when the AirZone picked my attention. A medium output humbucker with hyped bass and mids, just what I needed to sound brutal and yet retain some natural sound. After I installed the AirZone in the bridge I tried it on the Single rectifier (series 2) I own. Totally awesome punk distortion! Sadly the pickup lacked the brutality of the WarPig and wasn't as good for metal on it's own. This is where my secret weapon - the Maxon OD808 came into play. It added the much needed bass definition and low mid crunch to the whole equation making the distortion perfect for metal. In all honesty the WarPig is the better pickup because it is also very versatile but for me it was just TOO brutal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's pickup and pickups tend to last. I think it might outlive me, it will just lose some output. The guys at DiMarzio have been kind enough to answer some questions I had about their line of pups and gave me advice which particular pickup I should chose for the tone I was after. // 10

Overall Impression: What I love about this pickup is the way it sounds in my guitar. I really want to hear one in a mahogany body guitar where it probably will sound just as good. I mainly play metal and punk. The pickup cannot give you what other active or high output passive pickups can but the lack of brutality is compensated by its natural sounding, organic tone. I wouldn't recommend it for metal if you're going to use only the amp for distortion, however if you use it with boost it is definitely capable of pulling it off. // 9

Air Zone DP192 Reviewed by: aerosmithfan95, on october 03, 2013

Sound: The Air Zone has a nice balance of bass, mids, and treble and it's basically DiMarzio's medium output version of their Tone Zone pickup. I bought this from a local music shop three months along an Air Norton to go into my Kramer Pacer FT-202S project guitar for the summer. Most of the music I play is heavily influenced by and play is '80s to modern hard rock, blues rock, pop-punk, along with the odd blues and (thrash) metal. So, I really need this to be able to pull through quite a few different ideas. I've been playing this, in the bridge position, through a Marshall Vintage Modern 2266. ON my current pedal-board, I'm using a Compressor, Chorus, Noise Gate (all Boss), a Way Huge Green Rhino, and hopefully an EHX Memory Boy in the near future. On the "low gain" of my amp (the option I use most), this pickup has a full and sweet sound that really pulls through. It's not too hot to insanely drive the amp, and I can clean it up well especially with my compressor. On the higher gain setting, it adds even more grit and it can really pull of heavier stuff like Metallica if the amp's EQ'd right. When I pop on my Green Rhino for solos, this pickup has a really nice "voice" to it and has that smooth, clear, and articulate sounds that DiMarzio's are known for. I'll have to give this a solid 9.5/10 since it's not up-to-par when I'm in the mood to some more "higher gain" stuff. It's still a solid pickup, though! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Since it's a pickup, I know I can rely on it without it not giving me any trouble. With the Air Zone/Air Norton set in my guitar, it'll be a contender as my main guitar and the one I'll use when I begin to gig regularly. I can guarantee that this'll be in my Pacer for years to come without any worry. Besides, if something somehow goes wrong, I'll just replace it with the same model. DiMarzio is a reliable company, so they'll continue to have my business. I'll have to give this an easy 10/10 for reliability/durability. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said, I mostly play hard rock and blues rock along with the occasional pop, blues, and metal. I feel that the Air Zone is a great match for me in the bridge slot and it really compliments the Air Norton (in the neck) as well. I'm really impressed with how clear it sounds even if I add a decent amount of gain to it. I'll definitely recommend this to anyone that plays rock, blues, pop, and it can even work for jazz if you have the amp for it. With my overall impression, I will have to give the Air Zone a 10/10. // 10

More DiMarzio reviews rating category latest review
+ Super 3 DP152 9.2 Pickups 12/15/2014