D-Sonic DP207 Review

9.7
reviews (3) 3 comments vote for this gear:
D-Sonic DP207 Reviewed by: oneblackened, on february 19, 2010

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

Sound: The D-Sonic is a fairly high output pickup at 390 mV of output. It's meant to be loud and clear. The sound, overall, is defined and middy, though not boxy. I use it with a Peavey Vypyr 75 (soon to be replaced with a 6505+ 112) and even through the Vypyr it is noticeably clearer and less muddy than the bridge pickup it replaced (a stock Epiphone Les Paul bridge pickup). It is definitely NOT suitable for the neck position; the D-Sonic is far too powerful for the neck. The sound would just muddy up. An interesting note is that the D-Sonic sounds very different depending on how you position the coils. It has a coil with hex bolts and a coil with a rail. With the rail towards the neck, it's warmer and less tight than with the rail towards the bridge. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a pickup. Unless a lead breaks or a coil wire breaks, it won't die. DiMarzio is a reliable manufacturer, and their pickups don't break. DiMarzio pickups are made in New York City, and they tend to be more reliable than their far-east made counterparts. It's the same with Seymour Duncan in California. // 10

Overall Impression: In my guitar (an Epiphone Les Paul Standard), it's installed in the bridge position, with the rail facing the neck. It's SO much better than the stuck clunker I had before, though as we all know nothing is perfect. My only real gripe is it doesn't do Stellar cleans, but as a high output pickup goes, they are above average. I also dislike the fact that it looks a bit odd with a covered PAF copy in the neck (the stock Epiphone pickup). // 8

D-Sonic DP207 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 19, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Sound: As should be expected, it's a pretty serious pickup. Not as high output as I expected (it looks very 'metullll'), but it's punchy and provides a suitable boost compared to the neck (Cruiser HB) and middle (Super Distortion singlecoil) on my guitar. I use it with a modified Fender Prosonic, and it sounds brilliant whatever the weather. Very middy- I always totally dial out the midrange when using it, unless I'm going for a QOTSA vibe- and also bloody powerful. Not the clearest or most detailed pickup, but neither is it just a blaring wall of sound. Works brilliantly for overdriven solos that you want to sing out, and also is surprisingly adept at nice picked parts. I am a recording artist. Recently did a recording of Bon Ivor's 'Flume' with it, and the picked part for the verse was a lot more pleasant than when played on my PRS Singlecut Trem (don't tell her, she'll get jealous). Personally I wouldn't use it for the neck or middle. This is a monster of a bridge pickup. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's as strongly built as a pickup can be. Conductor wire overall is thick and plenty of cable is sent your way to make the most of it. I have a feeling it will become a very strong part of my armoury. // 8

Overall Impression: It looks awesome- DiMarzio pickups usually do- and even though the rail looks a bit odd, I'm a sucker for Allen bolts in a pickup. No little DiMarzio logo, but it's hardly the end of the world. It's all about how it sounds, right..? Don't really hate anything about it. It's just a good pickup, and used ones are a veritable bargain! I put it in my recently rebuilt American Deluxe HSS Strat. The guitar now wields 2 humbuckers and a singlecoil, with this heralding the bridge position loudly, clearly and very convincingly. Well worth a look! // 9

D-Sonic DP207 Reviewed by: BigHeadClan, on november 11, 2011

Price paid: C$ 80

Purchased from: Music Center Canada

Sound: This is a high-output pickup the belong in the bridge position but it is slightly different to most pickups, as mentioned above which way you have the rail facing greatly effects the tone of the pickup especially with tube amps. I have my rails facing towards the bridge because I switch between standard and drop tuning on a near daily basis. I have this pup paired with a PAF 36 Anniversary in the neck, this allows me to bounce between heavier metal (Pantera, Maximum The Hormone) and more Vintage style (Slash and Santana). I've had these pickups for a little over 6 months and was blown away from day one with the quality they delivered. These pickup's replaced my stock Duncan Design HB-102 that came with my Shecter - Bloodmoon 24 frets and mahogany body, I'm currently playing through a Vyper 60 Tube that more then suits my needs at the moment. In comparison to the pickups they replaced they are very clear (less muddy especially when distorted), have tighter lows and are fairly middy. Harmonics are a breeze in comparison to the stocks and they are much more responsive to coil-tapping. // 9

Reliability & Durability: DiMarzio is well known company so I don't foresee any issues with the pickup, they are built to last and shouldn't give me any issues. I had my guitar shop install them for me so if there is any problem it will probably be from a bad sadder. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this pickup is that it's well balanced and is suitable for both chugging rhythm or playing lead, I play anything under the sun and this pickup more then satisfies me in this regard. The only thing that could have been a bit better is the harmonics, however I have only been playing for a nearly 2 years and still have a long way to go so it's probably more me then the Pickup. // 8

More DiMarzio reviews rating category latest review
+ Super 3 DP152 9.2 Pickups 12/15/2014