EVO 2 Bridge DP215 Review

manufacturer: DiMarzio date: 02/07/2012 category: Pickups
DiMarzio: EVO 2 Bridge DP215
The pickup has a pretty tight bass response, and the highs and mids seem pretty balanced. Sound is very punchy and loud, which I like. I highly recommend this pickup for any playing that requires both high gain and articulation, sounds fine in any genre that I've tried.
 8.2
 5.8
reviews (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
EVO 2 Bridge DP215 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 05, 2011

Sound: Put in the bridge a mahogany Hagstrom Swede with a PAF Joe in the neck. Run into a Line 6 Pod HD 500 and from there, out to a Fender Super Champ XD. The pickup has a pretty tight bass response, and the highs and mids seem pretty balanced. Sound is very punchy and loud, which I like. Cleans are great, and hitting the strings hard will cause the slightest amount of break up. With moderate gain, it shimmers, and it only gets better with the more and more gain you pile on. I installed the pickup with Duncan Triple-shots for coil-splitting. Either coil sounds nice, and parallel sounds like quieter but brighter. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Ceramic magnet, high output, designed for Steve Vai. The pickup seems the same after six months. No problems what'soever, delivers any sounds needed. DiMarzio products are fantastic. I've played it in shows and it always sounds like a quality product, which it is! // 10

Overall Impression: I highly recommend this pickup for any playing that requires both high gain and articulation, sounds fine in any genre that I've tried. Maybe too much mid-frequency on clean tones, but that's probably because I have it in a mid-rangey guitar. Use it right, and it will give you any tone you want. Many say that this pickup isn't good for rhythm, but I think that it sounds plenty good. // 9

EVO 2 Bridge DP215 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 07, 2012

Sound: Output level is slightly lower than original EVO, but not really noticeable. Amp is Blackstar HT-5 and Boss SD-1 as booster. Guitar is Ibanez J Custom, neck through mahogany/maple guitar. Tone. This pickup is very bassy, and middy compared to DP159. It does clean up better than original EVO, and gone is the sometimes painful high end. For lead tone, this pickup has more sustain and harmonics than orig EVO. But for rhythm, this pickup lack the clarity and fast attack of the evo1. The sound is bordering on muddy, but not. I have to chance my amp setting drastically to compensate. This is not what I expected. I will need to play this pickup through more rig to assess its true character. But through my personal rig I'm not really happy with the sound. I would say, this is a better pickup than the EVO, if you play slower rock, or instrumental rock with a lot of leads. For heavy rock that require fast palm mute tracking and more cutting tone I still prefer the DP159 evolution. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Yes it is built quite well, though not as good as a Seymour Duncan. // 8

Overall Impression: I love how this pickup clean up. The DP159 can't clean up at all. Aside from that I still prefer DP159. Overall the experience is a bit of let down, after reading so much hype on the internet. It lost the most desirable quality of original EVO, that is the immediate pick attack. And gain only a bit in terms of cleaning up and slightly friendlier lead tone. // 7

More DiMarzio reviews rating category latest review
+ DP177 True Velvet T Neck 8.9 Pickups 02/05/2014