Fast Track 2 Strat Humbucker DP182 Review

manufacturer: DiMarzio date: 03/22/2015 category: Pickups
DiMarzio: Fast Track 2 Strat Humbucker DP182
It definately does its job as a humbucker, deleting any hum sound coming from the amp.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.5
 9.3
 9.6
reviews (2) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Fast Track 2 Strat Humbucker DP182 Reviewed by: 1201ZJ, on june 25, 2009

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Sound: Let me just say first, this baby has some balls to the sound. I Play mostly Metallica and Grunge stuff, and this thing basically duplicates the sound of James Hetfield's guitar when plugged in through my Roland 60 Cube. I use my amp distortion (on the Rectifier setting) and amp chorus, and it works well with them. The only thing I dislike is that it loses a lot of sustain for some reason when played through my Dunlop Original Crybaby, but I think it's the wah. It definately does its job as a humbucker, deleting any hum sound coming from the amp, as compared to my (stock) middle and neck singlecoil pups. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think the pickup will definately last, and it is very dependable. I think it will be a great pickup, and I will certainly use it in future strats that I may own, for it takes that strat sound away and just gives you the sound of a metal guitar, that being said, I'd reccomend it to anyone with a strat looking for that metal sound. // 10

Overall Impression: I absoloutly love this pickup. It has an amazing sound to it, and its just great. The only thing I dislike is the fact that it loses a lot of sustain when the wah is turned on (which once again I think its the wah). I installed the pup into the bridge of my Squier Strat, and it is pure awesomeness. It was made "for the bridge only" according to Musician's Friend, however, I may put one into the neck later. // 9

Fast Track 2 Strat Humbucker DP182 Reviewed by: AJ6stringsting, on march 22, 2015

Sound: I have this in all the mid position of my S,S,H and H,S,H configured heavy metal (7) guitars. This passive pickup has no hum ohm's rating of 18.03k ohms and delivers the punch of a full size humbucker. The Fast Track 2 has a ton of bass, huge mids and some treble in the mid position. I bet it would sound great in a bridge position of a S,S,S configured guitar that the lacks caboom of a humbucker.

I have this pick up in the middle of seven guitars, teamed up with DiMarzio Evolutions, 1983 Bill Lawrence XL-500, DiMarzio X2N and a Bare Knuckle War Pigs in the bridge position. When put in the #4 position (on a 5 way switch), I can still get a huge Metal rhythm tone with out it sounding weak. I wish it had more treble, which is why I like the GFS Little Killer (15k ohms version)in some of the other guitars // 9

Reliability & Durability: I used stainless steel picks, some times have to pick very fast and now my first DiMarzio F.S. 2 (bought in 1997) needs a new pickup cover... I'd say it's a very tough pickup. This pickup is made for live playing and is great sounding when recording. This pickup is all about "metal overkill" and this pick takes no prisoners or has mercy. If you want a thunderous-booming Metal guitar sound, just put in a 250k ohms pot with a 22mf capacitor to achieve a massive rhythm sound... but you may lose some treble. This is a go to pick up for getting a metal sound.

// 9

Overall Impression: This stacked humbucker is like a DiMarzio Super Distortion pickup with a little less treble, if you need more treble just add a 500k pot. I have seven of these pickups, the first I bought in 1997 and the last one in 2006. The one from 1997 has aged well and has a little more treble than the newer ones, in fact the one from 1997 has a 17.68k ohms rating on my meter. This pickup will fatten up a S,S,S guitar that needs a humbucker power boost. But if you put this in the mid position of a H,S,H or a S,S,H guitar for a heavy metal guitar, this thing will be a sledge hammer on the #4 position of a 5 way switch when a powerful humbucker is in the bridge. // 10

More DiMarzio reviews rating category latest review
+ Air Norton S DP180 9.1 Pickups 03/25/2015