John Petrucci Set Review

manufacturer: DiMarzio date: 11/05/2013 category: Pickups
DiMarzio: John Petrucci Set
The set includes a DiMarzio DP228 (Crunchlab) and DP227 (LiquiFire). John Petrucci found a combination that works for me.
review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
John Petrucci Set Reviewed by: leondb, on november 05, 2013

Purchased from: Used

Sound: The set includes a DiMarzio DP228 (Crunchlab) and DP227 (LiquiFire). In the interest of combining halves, I reviewed both as the set I bought it as. Combined both have completely changed my guitar's sound. With the Crunchlab Harmonics are much richer than stock. It sounds balanced as far as lows mids and highs. I really like that quality. This pickup is noticeably louder. Plugged into both inputs this guitar now drowns out my PRS SE, and both used to have similar output. Now when I jam with my nephew I have to roll back the volume. I prefer this pickup for overdriven playing. With its high output I can hear my amp slightly breaking up when clean. This was made for rock. The LiquiFire is in the neck, and it really compliments the Crunchlab. It's output is slightly lower than the Crunchlab but still a little louder than the PRS SE stock. It is rated as mid/low heavy, and it is at that but it sounds kind of jangly and much brighter than stock form. This pickup is great for all kinds of music styles. I use it for ska, rock, blues, it's so great! It sounds nice clean, but I love that chunky tone when it's driven! Together this set is nice. Versatile and fun. I couldn't be happier with the range of sound I get! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm more concerned with the "reliability" of the technician who installed them. The soldering looks clean. How can I test a pickup's "ruggedness" when it's set in the guitar? The build quality looks great. I would like all chrome/gold more. The wires did look thinner than stock but I don't think it'll be an issue. So did the Gibson ones anyhow. It's been installed for a few months so far so reliability hasn't been pushed far. Again, I'm more concerned with the install than the fit and finish or it's appearance. // 9

Overall Impression: This set was bought used and I took a chance getting it. I am not sorry at all. It is a versatile set. I play rock, ska, blues, and as a set it excels! I have a Gibson 500t in my Squier Strat which is similar to the Crunchlab. I prefer the Crunchlab, as the 500t seems brighter and almost searing to my ears. I really love the Crunchlab and LiquiFire! The CL's were made for rock and the LF goes there and beyond. John Petrucci found a combination that works for me. Like earlier said, I would like it with a chrome/gold cover option. I want to experiment with pickups on my PRS now, and might do this set again. // 10

More DiMarzio reviews rating category latest review
+ DP177 True Velvet T Neck 8.9 Pickups 02/05/2014