LiquiFire DP227 Review

manufacturer: DiMarzio date: 04/19/2012 category: Pickups
DiMarzio: LiquiFire DP227
Being someone who is into a lot of progressive rock/metal, I knew this pickup would be perfect for me. Yes, this is John Petrucci's signature neck pickup, and let me tell you, it delivers.
 9.3
 8.7
 9.9
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
LiquiFire DP227 Reviewed by: grungelive72, on april 19, 2012

Sound: The sound is extremely articulate for a neck pickup and never gets muddy. This thing can even do chugging! Sweep picking and hammer-on/pull-off licks sound like well, Liquid Fire. The soloing sound is so fluid and watery. For classic rock tones, the LiquiFire is okay, but that's not really what it was made for. That being said, the extremely warm cleans this pickup puts out are very good too, especially in parallel mode. They aren't conventional, but have loads of character that one wouldn't find in a classic rock or jazz pickup. It also cleans up well with distortion on, with the volume knob rolled down. With the tone dropped all the way and in parallel mode, the LiquiFire actually gives a decent jazz tone. Nothing any professional jazz player would gig with, but certainly useable at home. On a side note, the guitar this pickup is in also has a Bare Knuckle Pickups Aftermath in the bridge position, and they compliment each other nicely in the middle and fourth positions. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had the pickup for a couple of months now. I've gigged around 10 or 12 times with it and its been fine. I installed it myself and since I didn't screw anything up (I think), it hasn't given me any problems. I can depend on it. // 8

Overall Impression: LOVES: John Petrucci uses it. It was relatively cheap compared to a standard Seymour Duncan or Gibson pickup. I love sweep picking with it. It's called the LIQUIFIRE. I couldn't ask for a neck pickup that better suits my needs for my punk/progressive metal band. HATES: I wish it said DiMarzio on it - just so people would know. Being someone who is into a lot of progressive rock/metal, I knew this pickup would be perfect for me. Yes, this is JOHN PETRUCCI'S signature neck pickup, and let me tell you, it delivers. I put this in the neck position of my Ibanez RGT42 which has a basswood body like Petrucci's signature Music Man, and its phenomenal. Really a top-notch pickup. I would highly recommend it to any fan of Petrucci's, anyone into progressive metal, or anyone just looking for a great, modern sounding pickup. It's amazing at what it's supposed to do, and great at what its not. // 9

More DiMarzio reviews rating category latest review
+ Super 3 DP152 9.2 Pickups 12/15/2014